Sync settings

I would like to synchronize DOpus preferences across two devices. I found a post from 2012 which provides a method via moving the DOpus preferences folder to a cloud provider leaving a link or junction in its place. Will this work and is it safe today?

I suppose backup/restore is a method if one has the discipline to only makes changes on one device. Backup/restore worked great for setting up my second device. Thanks.

Backup/Restore is the only current official way, but since the configuration is all in files you can use other methods. The post you found from 2012 should still be relevant now.

The main thing to remember is that some config data is read when Opus starts, or the first time it is needed, and then not read again, and potentially only written back to disk when Opus exits (completely, not just closing the window).

So some config files will not work that well with continuous synching, but would work if you ensure Opus isn't running (File > Exit Directory Opus) when you copy them in either direction. Otherwise, old state could overwrite new state for that config (but should not cause problems beyond that).

Thanks. Sounds like safest and sanest is to make all changes on one device and backup/restore via cloud. No more work to do as well. :wink:

Thanks.

1 Like

Or just symlinking both devices to same prefs-folder may work.

At least for backup I use aditionally git, which also could work for restore and you can see which files / changes will happen (but not supported as @Leo) stated.

I use one device 90% of the time. I think I will go the lazy way and backup/restore from primary to secondary from time to time. Thanks for all the feedback.

Be aware of device specific paths (favorites...). For this i created a button on the device which is used less often, that copies those affected files to another place, starts explorer for dopus settings dir and the backup location, dopus then loads a backup file, and then closes dopus+dopusrt so that you can copy those previously backed up files. This is not advised by dopus but since you just copy back the files that you backed up previously there should not be a big problem. If you are worried you can still create a backup with the internal funcitonality.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none">
	<label>Partial Restore</label>
	<icon1>#loadprefs</icon1>
	<function type="normal">
		<instruction>COPY &quot;C:\Users\Felix\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\ConfigFiles\favorites.ofv&quot; TO &quot;D:\Daten\Directory Opus\Partial Restore\&quot; WHENEXISTS=replace </instruction>
		<instruction>COPY &quot;C:\Users\Felix\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\ConfigFiles\folderaliases.oxc&quot; TO &quot;D:\Daten\Directory Opus\Partial Restore\&quot; WHENEXISTS=replace </instruction>
		<instruction>COPY &quot;C:\Users\Felix\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\ConfigFiles\smartfav.osf&quot; TO &quot;D:\Daten\Directory Opus\Partial Restore\&quot; WHENEXISTS=replace </instruction>
		<instruction />
		<instruction>&quot;/windows\Explorer.exe&quot; /e, &quot;D:\Daten\Directory Opus\Partial Restore&quot;</instruction>
		<instruction>&quot;/windows\Explorer.exe&quot; /e, &quot;C:\Users\Felix\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\ConfigFiles\</instruction>
		<instruction />
		<instruction>Prefs RESTORE=all,replace FROM={Rf|Open backup|E:\}</instruction>
		<instruction />
		<instruction>C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /IM dopus.exe /F</instruction>
		<instruction>C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /IM dopusrt.exe /F</instruction>
	</function>
</button>

1 Like