Tabbed Find Panel

Hello, I just wanted to share that I had the idea it would be cool if the Find panel were tabbed (ideally vertical tabs because there is a lot of space horizontally available/unused anyway.)

The user could then have e.g. some tab searches configured with fixed folders to be searched, and other tab searches configured to update the search scope to the folder currently shown in the main folder view area.

The tabs system would minimize the amount of clicks that would need to be done.

Please like if you think this would be useful / please make suggestions to improve this suggestions.

(I hope I didn't miss anything and sth of this kind is available already.)

3 Likes

We have an idea for something a bit like that.

5 Likes

Hello,

I'm returning to the forum specifically because of this idea: user-named tabs for (user pre-configured) searches in Find Panel, so a configured (simple) search does not get lost when the user does another (simple) search.

In fact, there are already the tabs Simple and Advanced. What you could do is make use of that long line that's mostly unused, and allow double click to create a new tab.

At the moment it looks like this (underlines indicate active tab):

Simple // Advanced (lots of empty space)

It could look like this:

My Search 1 // Another search 2 // Search 3 // Search C:

The choice between Simple and Advanced could be removed from that area, and instead to a VERTICAL tab line on the left side:

/////// My Search 1 // Another search 2 // Search 3 // Search C:
S
i
m
p
l
e
//
_
A
d
v
a
n
c
e
d
_

So the user has 2 "sub" tabs per search he creates (one simple, one advanced). (Or course typically only one will be in use per tab, but the point is the user can choose which. I don't even consider it important to indicate in the horizontal tabs, for each tab, whether or not the advanced or simple search interface is currently active, because that's just one piece of information out of many pertaining to each tab, and it does not really make sense why this needs to be indicated.

There could be an option in setting defining if a new search tab will default to a simple or an advanced search, and also other options could be pre-configured for what a default search should look like (e.g. contents case sensitivity etc).

In particular there could be an option to define if a new search should default to (1) "Find in: (currently active folder tab's location)" OR to (2) "Find in: (pre-configured folders to be searched).

OR:
There could be new shortcut that will create a new find tab. There could be an option so the user can define if a) that shortcut will simply create a new find tab the default of which has been pre-defined, OR if b) that shortcut will result in a list of pre-configured find tabs being displayed, with a number being assigned to each line: User presses shortcut, list of pre-defined searches shows up:
1 Pre-Configured Search ABC
2 Pre-Conf. Search X
3 ...
--> users presses 1 , 2, .... and such a tab will be created. Typically 1 will pertain to "search in currently active tab", and 2 will be "search in frequently searched locations". (Therefore, one could also consider asigning direct shortcuts to these two).

The default name for a new tab could be "Search (n)", i.e. Search 1, 2, 3, ... n. Renaming should be done by simply clicking on to a tab twice (not double click, but in succession). There could also be an option "clone find tab" so the user can quickly create a second search based on an existing one.

There could be a pinning option, so the user can pin a certain new search so it will be retained upon DOpus restart and show up on any lister alongside the pre-configured search tabs.

There could also be an option to "lock" the pre-configured tabs so any changes will result in a new search tab being created.

1 Like

I strongly support this option. Thanks.

1 Like