Tabbrowsing in only on window

Hallo.

Could it be possible to open a new folder as a tab and not a new window?
So i can use only one window with many tabs like in an internet browser.

Thanks for all.

Using tabs is one of the great features of DOPus. Select the folder you want to open in a tab and then hit Ctrl+T. Viola. You can even drag and drop items onto the tab.

Personally, I don't like clicking on something with my mouse, then having to type something, and if you're like that you can create a button whose command is "Go NEWTAB," or you can create a context menu item for folders (my personal favorite) with the same command. Then you can right-click on a folder and choose "Open in new tab."

Also, this question is easily answered by looking in the manual. Yes, it's big and scary, but it's that way because it's got a ton of info. Before posting here next time, please take a look at the manual.

Wilkommen!

--chriscrutch

strange Ctrl+T or a new button with the command : Go NEWTAB didn't open a new tab if a click on a folder on my destop in a directory opus.

i cant find something like that in the manuel.

Edit note- I had posted about modifying the default double-click event for folders...

But then I re-read your note about clicking on folders on the desktop. I don't think there's a way to alter the actions that occur when clicking on desktop items...

#1: Sorry about telling you to read the manual. After you mentioned that you couldn't find anything about it in the manual, I looked for it. I was absolutely shocked to not find anything about folder tabs, or, specifically, the NEWTAB command. Everyone else: am I just a moron who can't find it, or is it really not there? Wow. So, anti00Zero, I'm sorry about jumping to conclusions. Mea culpa. Es tut mir Leid.

#2: If you are looking at your desktop and try to open a tab within a DOPus lister, I don't think there is a way to do that.

#3: If you are looking at a DOPus lister, viewing the contents of your desktop "folder," and try to open (in a new tab) a folder which happens to be on your desktop, oddly enough, that does not work. I don't know why, and I have never noticed that before. Can anyone else verify this behavior?

Summary: anti00Zero, I'm sorry, again, about the manual thing. :frowning: And as long as you're not trying to open folders that have anything to do with your desktop, then all the stuff I said before about the tabs still holds. But you just had to find the exception to my rule, didn't you..... :slight_smile:

--chriscrutch

Given how hot you lot are on using dopusrt I would have thought you could come up with something using that and the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder registry key :slight_smile:

Sorry to shock you. The manual is for version 8.0. Things added since then (eg tabs - 8.1) are described in the changes document that is also installed in the program folder.

Thanks for the info about the manual, Jon. I've only been using DOpus for a couple months now, and I have never used any version other than 8.1, so I have never known a DOpus without folder tabs.

As far as the dopusrt thing goes, that's a wonderful idea. I think I'll try it. :slight_smile:

--chriscrutch

[quote]
chriscrutch wrote:
#1: Sorry about telling you to read the manual. After you mentioned that you couldn't find anything about it in the manual, I looked for it. I was absolutely shocked to not find anything about folder tabs, or, specifically, the NEWTAB command. Everyone else: am I just a moron who can't find it, or is it really not there? Wow. So, anti00Zero, I'm sorry about jumping to conclusions. Mea culpa. Es tut mir Leid.

#2: If you are looking at your desktop and try to open a tab within a DOPus lister, I don't think there is a way to do that.

#3: If you are looking at a DOPus lister, viewing the contents of your desktop "folder," and try to open (in a new tab) a folder which happens to be on your desktop, oddly enough, that does not work. I don't know why, and I have never noticed that before. Can anyone else verify this behavior?

Summary: anti00Zero, I'm sorry, again, about the manual thing. :frowning: And as long as you're not trying to open folders that have anything to do with your desktop, then all the stuff I said before about the tabs still holds. But you just had to find the exception to my rule, didn't you..... :slight_smile:

--chriscrutch[/quote]

Jeder macht mal Fehler bzw. nicht jeder kann richtig englisch sprechen und schreiben. Daher könnte es sein, dass ich mich nicht korrekt ausgedrückt habe :wink: Somit sehe ich deine post nicht so eng. :wink:

[quote]
by jon on 11/10/05 6:31:12

Given how hot you lot are on using dopusrt I would have thought you could come up with something using that and the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder registry key :slight_smile:[/quote]

Sorry but does this mean? Do you hav an idea for my suggestion?
Or does this mean that i can edit the dopusstart on folders and on clicking an folder new tabs are opening like steje said?

It means that there is an idea, but it'll take me a while to work on it, and it will involve editing the registry. Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can come up with.

Bis bald....

--chriscrutch

EDIT:

A couple days, a couple minutes, whatever....
I have figured out how to do it, so anti00Zero, if you'll send me your e-mail address to chriscrutch [at] gmail [dot] com, I'll send you the solution. I think it's what you want. If you don't have any DOpus listers open, and you double-click on a folder, it will open a lister for you. If you already have a lister open, and you double-click on a folder, it will open the folder in a new tab instead of a new lister.

--chriscrutch

Edit number two:

If anyone else is interested in this, let me know. Also, if anyone feels like improving on it, feel free to drop me a line and I'll tell you how I did it. I don't really want to post it here on the forum, because: 1) it's not perfect, and 2) I don't want to be responsible for someone messing up their registry.

chris... FWIW... I've been on the receiving end of comments in the past when discussing registry hacks here on the forums and what I can tell you is it's understandable. GPSoft have to make some sort of 'We do not support this' statements because from their perspective as a company, they need to make sure that people understand that suggestions from users here on the forum are just that: suggestions... and not 'endorsed' by the company. A fair number of people seem to come to these forums thinking it is actually run by GPSoft and take things said here as some sort of 'official' statement... which is not always the case.

SOoooo...

I would say - go ahead and post what you've come up with here on the forum with a clear disclaimer in front of it (bold, underline, italics are wonderful things :slight_smile:) and maybe some cautionary advice for people to backup/export any registry keys before making any changes, and that if they have problems revert back to the original reg values...

I looked into this once from another users request and after making my last post remembered that the limitation I had in mind was based on folder 'shortcuts' on the desktop and not necessarily just folders... but what have YOU found to work :slight_smile:?

Steje:

Fair enough. Here goes.

This is not for the unskilled computer user. This is NOT endorsed by GPSoft in any way. It was created by a DOpus user, for another DOpus user. Use at your own risk.

First, if you don't feel comfortable with editing your registry, DO NOT try this. If you mess something up your system could crash or do otherwise nasty things.

Second, if you don't know how to back up your registry, DO NOT try this.

Third, realize that this is PERMANENT, so make sure you know how to undo this in case you want to later.

Fourth, I assume you're running Windows XP. I don't know if this will work for other platforms, but as long as it's Windows 98 or higher, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Fifth, if you need help with any of this, you can e-mail me, but I can't guarantee that I can help you, or respond to you for that matter. :slight_smile:

Sixth, this is what this actually does: Let's say that you have some folders on your desktop. Right now, if you double-click them, they just open in a new lister. Once you do all the instructions I have here, things will change a little bit. If you have no listers open, and you
double-click on a folder on your desktop, it will open the folder in a new lister. If you already have a lister open, and you double-click a folder on your desktop, it will open in a new tab instead of a new lister. If you want new folders that are not on your desktop to open in
a new tab, you still have to use the "Go NEWTAB" command, or use Ctrl+T. Limitation: This hack was created because the "Desktop" did not behave as a regular folder for the purposes of opening folders in tabs. This is because the "Desktop" in a Windows environment is not really a folder, anyway. It's a "virtual" folder. This hack works for opening folders on your desktop in tabs. It doesn't work for other "virtual" folders such as Control Panel, Recycle Bin, and Printers. I'm working on creating a registry hack for those, too, but it might be slow going.

Seventh, I haven't had very much time to test this, so it might not be perfect. Don't be mad at me if it goes wrong. I have tested it ONLY on the ANSI versions 8.1.0.8 and 8.2. No guarantees on other versions.

Still reading? OK, here we go.

Click Start...Run...type in "regedit" and hit enter.

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open.

Delete the key ddeexec.

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command\

Double click on (Default) and change the Value Data to :

----Start after this line-----
"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /cmd Go "%L" NEWTAB
----End-----

That's it. Good luck.

To Steje: this works on shortcuts to folders, too.

doesn't work for folders like recycler or printers.

you can edit the default of

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec

to Go NEWTAB but then you nedd a trippleclick on desktopfolders and sometimes a get an alert.