Taskbar icons

To make Directory Opus look more like an actual file manager, I made myself (and the occasional guest user) a folder icon, alongside a borderless version, to use on the Taskbar. I figured I might as well just share it here:

dopus

taskbar-icons.zip (43.7 KB)

To set it up:

1. Right-click the program icon on the Windows Taskbar, or navigate to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\GPSoftware\Directory Opus;
  2. Right-click "Directory Opus";
  3. Select "Properties";
  4. "Change Icon...";
  5. After selecting and changing it, restart the program to see it.

To back it up:

1. Put it somewhere within the AppData folder, usually %APPDATA%\GPSoftware\Directory Opus;
  2. If you back up the configuration fully, it will be saved alongside, but...
  3. Upon a fresh installation, you would still need to set it up manually.
9 Likes

Nice icons!

I guess you've also changed your Chrome icon from an abstract circle to something else? :smiley:

1 Like

Nah. Incidentally, all my browser icons (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) look somewhat alike already. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Great icons, thank you!
I followed instructions, but I'm not sure I'll keep it like that.
The file explorer icon is just too degrading to these IMHO.
I'll have to think some, but I will find it appropriate use for them or rethink the file explorer icon.
Thanks!

1 Like

Glad you like them! If you wish to have any slight changes made to it (e.g. a smaller Opus icon on top, or without the swooshes), let me know. As long as the changes are small, it won't take any time.

The idea was to keep it both similar to Opus (its elements being the same size as in the default icon) and close enough to a folder icon (fun fact: I used the Internal Flat Icon as a silhouette for it).

I made it mostly because my friend was really thrown off by not being able to find Explorer, which this solved, but I must admit that as close as I got to getting used to the default icon after 3-4 weeks myself, I never have to look for it since using this one.

1 Like

Thank you! I like them ...

1 Like

I agree with him. I've become accustomed to having a rectangle shape for a file manager.
A circle looks off; especially being a-symmetrical. Too much yellow everywhere too.
The Opus white sun icons look good full size, but start to look strange being shrunk to icons.
But this particular icon set doesn't do it for me either. I just settled for the alternative windows explorer factory icon, for a lack of a better rectangular icon. The icon reflects its purpose well, as Opus replaces windows Cringeplorer anyway.

Icon
What would be really cool is if we could snip a pic of our Opus screen and decimate the resolution to make a nice looking icon out of exactly what our screen looks like when using it.

If you right-click on the DO shortcut in the taskbar, you can change the icon also since dopus.exe has a few icons attached.

1 Like

I simply synthesized it in PS, and I think it would be even better if a guy is willing to optimize it! :rofl:DO|634x499

1 Like

JPEG files aren't really suitable for use as icons. You want something with an alpha channel.

I like it. Hard to see the sun against the yellow folder though. Maybe more orange in the sun. ?
I converted it to png and ico.
Dopus Square.zip (127.3 KB)

I put in some orange and adjusted the blue and white.
But it's so small on my taskbar it's hard to tell. Bah, I tried.
Orange
Dopus Icon Orange.zip (58.3 KB)

hhh,yes.I have no intention of using it as an icon because it requires redrawing and resizing, which is not something I am good at.

Thank you. Yes, so I didn't use it as an icon. I think I will study how to create an icon that can be used normally in the taskbar, and perhaps share it with you.

Thank you for your suggestion. For this, I have redrawn a version that is not very good but will be usable.Uploading: DO-SUN.rar…

Snipaste_2024-04-23_14-20-38

1 Like

DO-SUN.rar (24.5 KB)