The file is being used by another process

Hi! I am new to the Directory Opus, but I have a weird glitch where I can't do anything to a particular files because it's "being used by another process" however it's 100% not and the Locksmith from the Power Tools clearly shows that the Directory Opus is the only process that is locking the file. How could it be and how may I resolve this issue?

Just to clarify: it also happened several times with random folders. I've tried to enforce an admin rights and try again but it didn't help. Thanks in advance!

Is the viewer pane open?

2 Likes

Actually - yes, and it's trying to load something (judging by your question - this file) infinitely and I can't close it. Was thinking of creating a new topic about this - but during this viewer pane problem I also can't use any keyboard shortcuts and can't close the viewer pane either (just nothing happens)

Sounds like a problem with Microsoft's 3D Object Viewer and those STL files, unless a different viewer for them has been installed.

Do you see the same issue trying to view them in File Explorer?

For some reason I don't see many viewers in the DO preferences. As well as the ActiveX plugin which should've come preinstalled, very weird

And no, I haven't experienced any issues in the File Explorer but mostly because the STL files are assigned to the Chitubox slicer rather than Microsofr 3D object Viewer. Don't know how to change it :frowning:

Unless Chitubox slicer includes a preview handler, it'll probably still be the 3D Object Viewer that handles the files in Explorer's viewer pane.

Which viewers do you see in Preferences? Which version of Opus are you using?

1 Like

I've just found it - was searching for "ActiveX" and it's named "MetaPlugin". I am looking into it, will let you know if I fail or succeed in fixing the problem

The 'fix' was quite easy as the 3D Viewer wasn't installed at all (I use Blaze3D usually as it is much faster). The problem is that the viewer locks the file and I still can't rename it because of it :frowning:

Is it possible to let the rename process to be in charge in such cases?

Nothing built into Opus will be trying to view STL files. 3D Object Viewer or something similar must be installed for that to be happening.

Preview handlers are supposed to not lock the files they are viewing (it's part of Microsoft's API spec) but Microsoft themselves, plus some of the people making PDF viewers, don't always follow the rules, or the viewer may be getting stuck mid-load due to bugs (3D Object Viewer in particular is full of bugs like that, and Microsoft seemed to abandon it a few months after releasing it, as is their way). You can tell Opus to open temporary copies of things in that case, but first you need to work out which viewer is handling the files (via the MetaPlugin config).

I can't comprehend how to enable any others preview handlers... I don't like the 3D Viewer but it seems that it's the only one available for me. I have PowerTools installed but it doesn't offer any PowerTools STL Previewers in the MetaPlugin

You can turn off 3D Object Viewer if it’s in the way.

Or set it to open temporary copies of files, to prevent it blocking operations on the real files.

If I turn it off then it's infinitely loading again..

So 3D Viewer is turned off (checkbox cleared) here now?

Does it say what is loading the file?

Do thumbnails of that file work OK, or do they never appear either (or just generic icons)?

What do you see for the file in File Explorer's viewer pane?

I went to check what you said and now it seems that the previews are being generated by the Blaze3D but it takes so much time to create it. But it's definitely not the Opus's fault so thank you for being patient and helping:)

1 Like