The system cannot find the path specified: Retry/Read PARENT Folder

Directory Opus Version 13: I SEEM to be having a problem here that I have not been able to resolve. Here’s a description of what it is:

I have a ‘Folder Hierarchy’ on one of my drives – 4 deep – Starting from the root on down – NAMED AS FOLLOWS: “!!A\B\C\D”.

SPECIFICALLY NOTE: the two LEADING EXCLAMATION MARKS – I very frequently use this ‘trick’ in order to make particular folders at any level in hierarchies in order to force those folders to ‘float to the top’ in the in folder and file displays.

Now here’s the problem: EVERY TIME I ‘OPEN’ A NEW LISTER, REGARDLESS OF HOW I OPEN IT (such as double-clicking on my desktop, via a shortcut, or clicking on any available icons) NEW ‘LISTERS’ ALWAYS OPEN POSITIONED ON the lowest/fourth level of the above folder tree the drive in question.

Now that might not seem unusual EXCEPT:

• For the life of me, ‘Navigating away’ from that ‘D’ folder and then closing all listers and even shutting down the Opus Helper icon in the System Tray area, DOES NOT result in any kind of reset/saving of the new ‘last most recently used drives/folder position at the time of shutdown, ALWAYS FORCING ME – every time I open a new lister, to navigate away to where I want to get to…
  • BUT – it’s even worse: assuming I do navigate away that say up to the root level of the drive in question AND I DELETE the folder tree at !!A ‘on down’, THE NEXT TIME I OPEN ANOTHER LISTER IT STILL WANTS TO OPEN UP ON THE LOWEST LEVEL – ‘D’ – OF THAT NOW NO LONGER EXISTING FOLDER TREE THAT I JUST DELETED.
  • I wind up getting an error message: “An error occurred reading the folder: The system cannot find the path specified (3)” and I am given two options: either ‘Retry’ or ‘Read parent folder’.
  • … Which of course I CAN do (retry doesn’t work; and while Read Parent Folder does work, I doubt have to do this every single time I open a new lister!”.

As a final ‘test’ – I just renamed the root level folder “!!A’’ to “!!A.OLD” and voilà, the ‘retry’ or whatever message reappeared is soon as I launched new lister.

I have played around with the Update Home Folder and Reset Home Folder to no avail.

In addition, I explored all the options under “Frequently Use Paths” and Explorer Replacement (set for Replace Explorer for All folders) and didn’t see anything obvious there.

Can anyone help? This is MOST IRRITATING. The way I think it/Directory Opus SHOULD ALWAYS LAUNCH (when launching a brand-new instance) should be either to:

• And always legitimate root level folder SPECIFIED OR
  • THE Last Legitimate Folder of the Last Legitimate ‘instance’ DIRECTORY Opus when it was – that instance – shutdown (or perhaps a variation that I haven’t thought of…).
  • AND it seems like a good idea might be to have Directory Opus – IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS ‘AUTOMATICALLY SEARCH’ ‘UP THE HIERARCHY TO THE ROOT LEVEL OF THAT DRIVE OR EVEN TO THE ROOT LEVEL OF SOME AVAILABLE DRIVE ON YOUR SYSTEM’.

This is really annoying. Something I suppose I could try though I really don’t want to if I can get away with it is removing and reinstalling Directory Opus and see this problem goes away…

One final thing – on the chance that it might be relevant – ‘Everything’ by voidtools is integrated into Directory Opus on the system.

Help?

If automatic saving is off, use Settings > Set Lister Defaults to save your starting folder/tabs.

EXCELLENT! Worked perfectly - Thanks so much...

1 Like