Tip: Adding mouse gestures to Directory Opus!

I've recently discovered a great little freeware program called "StrokeIt", which allows you to create and use system wide custom mouse gestures. Thanks to Opus' great internal command system, you can assign just about anything to the mouse gesture of you choice. Creating gestures is pretty intuitve, but here's a little guide to get you started:

1. Open the StrokeIt command editor wnidow by clicking on the system tray icon. Hit ctrl+A to create a new application.

2. It should show up as "App". Left click on it to rename it to whatever you like. Click the "Add..." button under "Application Identifiers" on the right, and enter "dopus.lister" as the window class.

3. Right click on your application label in the righthand pane, and select "New Actioin". Rename it to whatever you like. Select a gesture movement from the dropdown menu for it, and click "Add Gesture". You can specify more than one. Gestures already in use in the "[Global Actions]" section will not be available unless you disable them there.

4. Right click you new action and select "New Command". "Run - Run Program" should be highlighted by default. Enter "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" in the "File" field. Then enter any internal command you wish in the "Arguments" field, preceded by the text "/cmd ".

Here are some examples:

/cmd Go TABCLOSE (closes current tab)
/cmd Go CURRENT NEWTAB (opens a new tab with the contents of your currently active tab)
/cmd Go UP (goes up one level)
/cmd Go BACK (goes back one entry in history)
/cmd Go FORWARD (goes forward one entry in history)

Some little problems and how to avoid them:

1. Right clicking on the clickable folder pathes in Opus will not work when you have StrokeIt enabled. To get around this, just hold ctrl down while right clicking. This will ignore "gestures" temporarily. All other right click functions in Opus seem to get along just fine with StrokeIt.

2. I've experienced problems with right click image panning in programs like XnView, because StrokeIt is overriding the program's default action. You should choose to enable gestures only in "configured applications" to avoid such confilcts.

3. You may want to disable most of the default "[Global Actions]". I found that I was accidentally executing them a lot. Not to mention that accidentally closing a window while you're trying to work is kind of a bummer.

4. You can disable the mouse trail drawing. It pisses me off. :imp:

5. If you find yourself missing the mark when trying to execute some gestures, try adding an "adjacent" gesture to the same command. For example if you tend to mess up the "left" gesture, then add "left-up" and "left-down" to that action as well. You can also have StrokeIt learn cusom gestures and then have them overwrite the default ones.

And finally the link: tcbmi.com/strokeit/

Enjoy! 8)

2 Likes

Over in this thread forum member Milly mentioned PowerPro, a freeware tool which can add mouse gestures to Opus and any other Windows application:

iMilly.com/tools.htm#powerpro
powerpro.webeddie.com/

(I have not personally used either StrokeIt or PowerPro so I can't say how they compare. People seem happy with both so check 'em both out.)

Thanks for sharing this.

One thing I'd like to point out is that I had to SHUT DOWN Stroke-It and restart it before my Dopus entry worked.

Maybe I can save someone the 20 minutes I spent dinking with it. :slight_smile:

Now, like my beloved Opera browser, I can make Dopus go BACK with a left mouse gesture. :slight_smile:

slowave,

can you export your StrokeIt! config for DOpus? It would be greate if we could collect here a basic set of gestures that would be useful to us in Dopus, and allow speedier adoption of the mouse gestures...

I am thinking of some basic ones like these:

Hello,

I am trying Directory Opus for 2 days and am very excited by all its features and customizations. As I am also using StrokeIt, I created the 3 gestures you mentionned:

Up one Folder [Up]

• Send Hoteky: BackSpace
    Back [Left]
  • Send Hoteky: Alt + Left Arrow
    Forward [Right]
  • Send Hoteky: Alt + Right Arrow

See attachment.

HTH,

Georges
Directory Opus StrokeIt Commands.zip (352 Bytes)

Witch comand i must use to close dopus window not tab in Stroke It?
For tab it is:

Close

:slight_smile:

hmmm

/cmd Go CLOSE

not working

It's just Close, not Go Close.

Thank You.

By the way new 3.7 version of StrokeIt works fine with Dopus 64bit on windows 7. 3.6 version crashes.

What command i must use to minimize opus window in StrokeIt?

Set LISTERCMD=Minimize

Awesome, perfect, thank you - just what I was looking for!

I only use Left to /cmd Go UP, it's amazing how incredibly useful this one little thing is.

Tip: Adding mouse gestures to Directory Opus!

Post by slowave » 13 Dec 2005, 22:05
Edited by Chazcon (cc) 3/17/14

I've recently discovered a great little freeware program called "StrokeIt", which allows you to create and use system wide custom mouse gestures. Thanks to Opus' great internal command system, you can assign just about anything to the mouse gesture of you choice. Creating gestures is pretty intuitive, but here's a little guide to get you started:

1. cc Launch StrokeIt. You will see a 'white arrow' system tray icon.

2. cc Left-click on the system tray icon to open the StrokeIt - Command Editor window. In the left-hand pane right-click and select New Application.

3. cc It will be named 'App' by default. Left-click on it and rename it to whatever you like. For this example I've used 'Dopus'. With the new application selected, under 'Application Identifiers' on the right, click the 'Add...' button to open the Add Application window. Ensure that 'Window Class' is selected. xxx 'dopus.lister' and click 'OK'. In the StrokeIt - Command Editor window, in the right-hand pane, you will now see 'CLASS:dopus.lister'.

4. cc In the left-hand pane right-click the application ('Dopus' in this example)and select 'New Action'. Left-click on it and rename it to whatever you like. For this example I've used 'UpOneLevel'. With the new action selected, under 'Gestures that will execute this action:' on the right, click the drop-down menu and select the gesture you want to assign to this action. In this example I've used 'Left'. Click 'Add Gesture' and it will appear in the box above the drop-down menu. Note that you can assign multiple gestures to the same action if desired. Gestures already in use in the '[Global Actions]' section will not be available unless you disable them. Typically, since I use StrokeIt only for Directory Opus, I will delete all other applications, and under '[Global Actions]' I will delete all actions.

5. cc In the left-hand pane right-click the application ('Dopus' in this example)and select 'New Command'. In the right-hand pane under 'Configure a command below.' click the drop-down menu and select 'Run - Run Program'. In the 'File:' field enter 'C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe'. In the 'Arguments:' field enter the argument. In this example I've used '/cmd Go UP'.

6. cc Close the StrokeIt - Command Editor window. StrokeIt will remain running in the system tray.

cc Here are some examples, and other can be found in these forums. I don't know of a link to a complete reference but perhaps another user can point this out:

/cmd Go CURRENT NEWTAB (opens a new tab with the contents of your currently active tab)
/cmd Go UP (goes up one level)
/cmd Go BACK (goes back one entry in history)
/cmd Go FORWARD (goes forward one entry in history)

Some little problems and how to avoid them:

1. Right clicking on the clickable folder paths in Opus will not work when you have StrokeIt enabled. To get around this, just hold ctrl down while right clicking. This will ignore "gestures" temporarily. All other right click functions in Opus seem to get along just fine with StrokeIt.

2. I've experienced problems with right click image panning in programs like XnView, because StrokeIt is overriding the program's default action. You should choose to enable gestures only in "configured applications" to avoid such conflicts. cc Highly recommended, this is what I do.

3. You may want to disable most of the default "[Global Actions]". I found that I was accidentally executing them a lot. Not to mention that accidentally closing a window while you're trying to work is kind of a bummer. cc Highly recommended, this is what I do.

4. You can disable the mouse trail drawing. It pisses me off. :imp:

5. If you find yourself missing the mark when trying to execute some gestures, try adding an "adjacent" gesture to the same command. For example if you tend to mess up the "left" gesture, then add "left-up" and "left-down" to that action as well. You can also have StrokeIt learn custom gestures and then have them overwrite the default ones.

And finally the link: tcbmi.com/strokeit/

Enjoy! 8)

1 Like

I see this was first posted more than 10 years ago... Is this the preferred way to support touch screen gestures for Opus under Windows 10?

This just popped up in my notifications. I'm surprised to learn that I edited Slowave's 2005 post, since:

1. I don't know Slowave.
  2. I wasn't using Dopus in 2005 (should have been!)
  3. I know of the program StrokeIt, but have never used it.
  4. The text is not written in my voice.
  5. I'm a long time keyboarder, not a mouse user.

Also the post above it is not mine (this one):

chazcon Opus Pro

Mar 10, 2014

Awesome, perfect, thank you - just what I was looking for!

I only use Left to /cmd Go UP, it's amazing how incredibly useful this one little thing is.

Strange happenings!

The post is from 2014 and says "Edited by Chazcon (cc) 3/17/14" in the post body, so I don't think it was a recent change, or by someone else, unless someone else uses the same name.

Your account hasn't edited the root post, only reposted an edited version as a reply.

Strange if it wasn't you. You might want to change your password just in case.

Edit: I expect the 2014 post appeared in your notifications because someone clicked the Like (heart) icon on it. The notification will tell you why it appeared.