Toggling Filter Filters On and Off

Back prior to Directory Opus 9, I always carried around (via initial creation and then subsequent settings imports) a default local folder filter that hid system and hidden files along with a specific name filter, along the lines of the following:

(That folder filter string may not be in the correct format; I'm just writing this from memory so you'll get the idea.)

Anyway, from another thread (nudel's HOW TO: Add and Configure Filter boxes thread), he has a great little custom button to hide system files (Set HIDESYSTEMFILES=Toggle).

To get to the point, I want to emulate my original filters (hidden/system/{name string}) shown in the above image using nudel's custom button as my base.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a command to "toggle" hidden files nor file/folder filters, only system files. Is this true?

Would the only way to do this is to create two buttons (or a single button separate LMB/RMB defintions) that set the above? Like the following:

LMB

Set HIDEFILTERATTR=hs Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS="(*RECYCLE*|System Volume Information|VProRec*)" Set HIDEFILTERFILES=(whatever1|whatever2)

RMB

Set HIDEFILTERATTR="" Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS="" Set HIDEFILTERFILES=""

The ideal solution would be able to define a custom file filter (again, like shown above in the image) and be able to toggle it on and off via a button. Is this possible?

(There doesn't seem to be an option to edit my post. Am I missing it?)

Anyway, to extend the above, via "Preferences-->Folders-->Folder Formats" I just created a new "Favorite" format entitled "Hide and Show System Junk."

Is there any way to assign that format definition to toolbar button so I can toggle it on and off? If so, how?

Filter buttons act as toggles automatically. If the filter that the command would set is already in place then it will be reversed/removed.

Note also that hiding files with the H or S attributes is not the same as the HIDESYSTEMFILES options which hides files with the H and S attributes.)

(We need an "Edit Message" by George! :smiley:)

Okay, before it's cited, I just read nudel's HOW TO: Understand and Configure Folder Formats thread. (Wonderful FAQ!)

It didn't answer my question, but coincidentally, I discovered how to quickly apply a favorite format. (It's already defined on the default toolbar. Duh. :smiley:)

But before I go, I would like verification that there is really no easy (easy meaning "clean") way just to toggle the format custom hidden filters on and off as I describe in my original post. Thanks!

Really? Okay.. I'll go test it out.

Exactly. That's why I cited the ATTR parameter because HIDESYSTEMFILES still leaves all the hidden files showing. :slight_smile:

Excellent! It works! Thanks!

Just to close the thread, here's the new definition of your modified button (taken from your Filter Box how-to thread cited above):

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button display="icon" label_pos="right" type="three_button"> <label>Clear Filters</label> <icon1>#filterfield</icon1> <button display="both" label_pos="right"> <label>Clear Filters</label> <icon1>#default:deletefilter</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME=&quot;&quot;</instruction> <instruction>Set HIDEFILTERFILENAME=&quot;&quot;</instruction> <instruction>Set SHOWFILTERFOLDERS=&quot;&quot;</instruction> <instruction>Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS=&quot;&quot;</instruction> <instruction>Set HIDEFILTERATTR=&quot;&quot;</instruction> <instruction>Set SHOWFILTERATTR=&quot;&quot;</instruction> <instruction>Set VIEWFILTER=&quot;&quot;</instruction> <instruction>Select NOPATTERN SHOWHIDDEN</instruction> </function> </button> <button display="both"> <label>Hide System Files</label> <icon1>#recursivefilter</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Set HIDEFILTERATTR=hs</instruction> <instruction>Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS=&quot;(*RECYCLE*|System Volume Information|VProRec*)&quot;</instruction> </function> </button> </button>

People kept confusing threads and doing annoying things by editing messages to remove or change the questions they were asking after they'd been given answers. It made the forum difficult to follow and reduced the value to other people searching for answers, so editing has been disabled.