Toolbar Appearance - Office 2003-Style and Background Image

I want to highlight a toolbar button (either active or on mouseover) in a different color. I want the entire button color to change. The Office 2003-style provides this functionality.

Unfortunately, it also appears to override the "Image is inherited by submenus" setting on the customize toolbars tab. It also whites out the button text as the text is white. I would really prefer the submenu to inherit the image as seen without the 2003-style setting.

How do I go about retaining the "Image inherited by submenus" setting and still accomplish the toolbar highlight button effect I want to achieve?

Any ideas?

As a follow-up, simply using the "Highlight base color" and " Menu gradients" settings do essentially the same thing:

You can set the text colors for individual items, which would let you have the menu item text in black and the toolbar button text in white, but it might end up being quite a pain. (Probably easier to have black the default, then change the top-level toolbar buttons to white, since there will be fewer of them to manage compared to the menu items.)

I don't think there is a way to have background images in menus while using the Office 2003 style for them, unfortunately.

Having some issues with the Windows 10 menu theme myself, I've been thinking about how we could make menu look & feel more customisable, but it's just at the early idea stage currently.

[quote="leo"]You can set the text colors for individual items, which would let you have the menu item text in black and the toolbar button text in white, but it might end up being quite a pain. (Probably easier to have black the default, then change the top-level toolbar buttons to white, since there will be fewer of them to manage compared to the menu items.)

I don't think there is a way to have background images in menus while using the Office 2003 style for them, unfortunately.

Having some issues with the Windows 10 menu theme myself, I've been thinking about how we could make menu look & feel more customisable, but it's just at the early idea stage currently.[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestions Leo. I'm sure you guys will move from early idea stage in due course!

I know the DOpus team has a lot on its plate, but any movement on this?

I'm not sure if the menu/theme code was tweaked during the betas or if I just got used to things but I'm OK with the default look on Windows 10 now.

The idea I was thinking of will be a long way off, if it is ever implemented at all. It's a fairly substantial thing which would affect all visual style painting throughout the program, not just a quick tweak to a small part, and I'm still not sure how well the idea would work in practise. Still thinking about it occasionally, though.

A way to 'paint' or batch-edit settings for toolbar buttons (without affecting the entire toolbar) has also been on our ideas list for a while, but keeps getting bumped by other things.