Unable to Access NAS having changed Username

I have a Favorite which points to my NAS. It works to Admin. I have disabled Admin and created a new administrative user. When I click on the favorite I now get that I have no permission. How do I change the username and password that the favorite uses?

Favorites just go to the path they have stored. They do not store a username or password. (Unless it's an FTP site, but you should use the FTP Address Book for those.)

The username and password used for network drives is down to Windows.

If you go to the same path in File Explorer, do you get the same error there?

Unrelated to DOpus. Your Windows is using the old admin user/pass.
Start Menu -> Credential Manager -> Windows Credentials -> Remote Machine Name -> Edit/Remove.

Since this also puzzles people: In Windows it is not possible to connect to the same server using 2 different credentials, i.e. one connection using OldAdmin and another using NewAdmin, same share or different share, doesn't matter. Use FTP for that purpose.

At least for me, that doesn't seem to display implicitly used network share credentials. (Not sure if it's different for mapped drives; I don't use them much.)

I've always used the net use command from an admin command prompt to manage these things, although it would certainly be nice if there was a UI for it somewhere.

It's crazy that Windows is still this primitive about network resources.

FWIW, you can trick it by using the IP address for one set of credentials and the name for another. (If the server has a fully qualified name, you can use that for a third set of credentials, too, since Windows seems them all as different servers.)

Thank you. I went into Windows credential manager and edited the two nas entries. Now it works. I do also use FTP but clicking on a favorite is quite convenient at times.

These are the passwords Windows stores if you log on to a remote share with different credentials than your local user name/pass and activate the "Remember My Credentials" checkbox. If you use the same user/pass on both machines, Windows will automatically try them first. If they're different and you always enter user/pass, they'll not be stored there either. On my machine net use shows no stored connections, but there are a ton of stored passwords in CredMgr.

CredMgr stores many other things, incl. RDP connection passwords, if you use RDP.

To complicate things further there's also a "Group Policy" setting, which prevents remote login when a specific account uses no password. Windows won't let you in, unless you disable the Group Policy "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only." Most people never change it then wonder why they cannot log on to remote machines even when not using password.

Again, that's not for normal usage. FTP is only required if you want to connect to the same machine twice but with different credentials, for whatever reason. You can supposedly use IP address according to some forums, e.g. \\192.168.12.123\SomeShare$ for the 2nd connection, but that didn't work for me.

If you don't check that, or if implicit credentials (same user/pass) are used, the credentials are still active until you reboot and Windows won't let you use any others while they exist, but they also won't be listed in the Credentials Manager UI, unfortunately. It only seems to show things that persist across reboots.

The net use command can be used to remove the implicit/cached credentials, so that you can try connecting with other ones.

Windows and all the scattered settings, one here another over there, don't make life easier now, do they? :smiley: And don't even get me started with making non-domain machines and domain members, like customer-assigned laptops, talk to each other at home network. Now that some companies use Azure domains, even finding out the right user name format became an adventure.

(In case somebody in future searches forum for it, it's .\AzureAD\userID instead of the company's usual DOMAIN\userID, may or may not work depending on the firewall on domained machine).

1 Like