Unable to Inline Rename Folder to Create Sub-folder Using "\\"; Says "Already Open"

Say that there is a folder X with some files or I create a new folder X with no files. When I try to inline rename X to X\Y, I receive a message that the folder is already being used by another process, so I have to abort the rename operation.

If I search for that folder name on the list of open handles using Process Hacker, it does not show up.

I may wait a bit and try again to rename to X\Y and the result is the same.

The only solution seems to be to first rename X to X+suffix, commit that, then rename the folder to X\Z.

There does not seem to be anything common about folders that cause this to happen.

I have been experiencing this problem for quite a while. Maybe it is related to my settings? I have no idea what could be causing the problem. I have an vague idea of not having that problem before, but I can't remember what version of Opus I was using at that time.

Are any of you able to reproduce that?

You're trying to move a folder inside of itself?

Nope. If there is a folder Planets with picture of planets, by inline renaming it to Planets\Earth, I expect all picture to move to the folder Earth and the folder Earth to be inside the folder Planets.

(Note: We're adding support for this so Opus handles the intermediate steps automatically; see Jon's post below.)

If you rename the folder itself, you're telling Opus you want to move the folder itself.

You can't move a folder inside of itself.

But you can move all the things inside the folder into a sub-folder. You would have to select them, or use a wildcard, and then move them. It can't be done by just inline-renaming the folder, as that moves/renames the folder.

It kinda of works right now.

Say there is a picture Earth.jpg. I then inline rename it to Picture\Earth.jpg. That leaves me with a Picture folder at the current lister. Then I again inline rename, this time Picture is selected and I rename it to Planets\Picture. That leaves me with the folder Planets, that contains Picture, that contains Earth.jpg.

Wait, guess I need a minute to think about it. I must be making some mindless confusion.

Well, being pragmatic, it would be handy to have Opus automatically make that middle step of renaming the folder to another name (X > Xa), then renaming it as the user wants (Xa > X\Y). Would simplify things for me for sure.

That is what I want, but with the "syntax" of "moving a folder in itself", because it is easier to type {F2}{Right}\Name{Enter} than to {Enter}{Ctrl+N}Name{Enter}{Ctrl+I}{Ctrl+X}{Ctrl+I}{Enter}{Ctrl+V}{Backspace}{Backspace}.

I guess you could let the purists have their way and the pragmatics too by letting the user choose or not that behavior on the preferences.

What do I do now? Shall I tag this as feature request or open another thread to ask for that feature?

No need for a new thread. You can add the tag if you want, but tags are not super important, as long as we see the thread and the idea, which we have.

This will be supported in the next update.