Unable to save window configuration

I have been a long time user but I am not interested in being a techie, just having the program act consistently to do what I need it to do. The last couple of updates have robbed me of this. I use two windows for two different drives and no matter how I try to save the "lister" Each time I open the program, I have to rearrange the columns of information for both windows to show the info like size, date modified and in addition, the window no longer defaults to the last choice which is alway the soonest modified. Instead I have to take my time to rearrange the columns to make them usuable each time. Can anyone help me or give me the commands in this confusing interface to allow me to save the configuration for each window from use to use. Thanks in advance. Ron

Please see this guide for what to do:

This the same answer instructing me to save thr folder format, but it didn't wok. I followed instructions oerfectly twice, no change. HELP

When you see the two windows with incorrect settings, how are they being opened?

The same each time. I use dual panes, for different drives. They open with the name of file properly on the left and all the other information on the right, in aproximately the proper sizes. The distance left for the name of file exceeds any file name length by far and the other information is so far to the left that most of it is hidden and I have to reduce the name of file column before I can see it. Even if I go up the tree to another folder or drive, when I return, it has reverted to the large name of file column, in whichever pane I was moving in.

But how are they being opened? In other words, what are you clicking on to make the windows appear?

I have an icon on my desktop and i click that and opus opens as I've described. Dual panes, columns wrong

You originally said you have two different windows, but then you said you have an icon on your desktop. So does one icon open both windows? Or do you actually have two icons on your desktop?

Please try to answer our questions with accurate information, as we need to know exactly how the windows are being opened before knowing how to help you fix the problem.

Don't talk down to me! I click the icon on my desktop and the program opens a is always open, two equal size panes, one for ech drive. One internal and one external. Nothing else occurs and i have no idea what you are calling a window. The monitor screen is full, with drive tree etc. in a small window on left and two equal size windows as described, one for each drive. If i hit the exit on one of the windows, it reverts to a single window but still columns are wrong. The name of file column is alwas over 500 unit, no matter if i reset

Windows are the things you can move around and resize or maximize on the desktop.

Sounds like you're opening one window, with two file displays (two panes) inside it.

The icon that you are double-clicking: What is it? Is it the Directory Opus program icon? Or the icon for a folder that's below the desktop? Or a shortcut to a folder? Or an Opus layout?

One way to find out what the icon is: Right-click it and choose Properties, then see what's on the first tab of the properties dialog that opens.

Winows 8 is different. I don't like and you don't appear very knowledgable in it either. You have to have a shortcut on the desktop to get properties. I run from taskbar. Anyway properties says it is running dopus.exe. Oddly enough when i went to the application file on the drive and clicked that, it came in a file display, dual, with one being the opus folder and the columns correctly sized. The other file display was still incorrect. I am running Win 8.1 and has had some auto upgrades. 8.1 seems even worse than 8

Nobody is talking down to you... the details of your situation matter, but you've only partially answered two of the questions you've been asked. Jon and Leo are plenty knowledgeable... and you are the one who said you click on an icon on the DESKTOP, so they asked you questions about that icon in order to help you. But now you're saying you run it from the taskbar, so I think you should be understanding of some small bit of confusion instead of accusing someone of not being knowledgeable...

They are going to want to know what the full target text is in that shortcuts properties, for example:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopus.exe" /autolister

And will also then likely want to know what your options look like on the Settings / Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister pages... Screenshots would be best.

This is actually getting worse. I still think its a function of win 8.1, I have done nothing to it and have been using it successfully for years. PLEASE GIVE ME A LINK TO RE-DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM. I am on a very small pension and sincerely can't pay for the upgrade to 11 that you are selling. When I paid for the original registration, I had every expectation that I wouldn't have to pay for upgrades and I haven't had to. But maybe 11 would fix this problem. Its your business and I can't tell you how to run it.

Now if I go up on level, it loses all the manual formatting that I had to do in the window to organize my files. It wasn't doing that last week.

If you want to re-download Opus 10:
[ul][li]Directory Opus 10 downloads[/li][/ul]

If you want to re-download Opus 11:
[ul][li]Directory Opus 11 downloads[/li][/ul]

I unintstalled 10 and re-downloaded it and installed. Exact same problem right after install without any changes by me. I downloaded and installed 11 evaluation and exact same problem, again right as started, without any changes by me. We live on different continents and I am 67 years old and learned computers before windows on DOS. Our communications suck. You and I don't have the same terminology so I half the time don't even know what you want. I invite you to remote my computer if that will get this solved. My guess it's in registry but I'm not qualified to alter a registry in Win 8.1 and always was reluctant for all the prior versions of Windows.

The way this works has not changed in a long time, especially if we're talking about Opus 10 (there are some differences with how toolbars are saved/restored in Opus 11). If it used to work but no longer does, you must be doing something differently to before.

Everything you should need to set the defaults for how folders are viewed should be in Folder Formats: Quick Guide.

No settings are stored in the registry. If you uninstalled Opus 10 and then re-installed it, you will be using a completely vanilla configuration. (Uninstalling wipes the existing configuration.)

We aren't able to remote into machines, sorry. But I recommend trying the guide again, and making sure to follow each step carefully. It's what everyone else has used, and probably what you used in the past if you got it working before.

Are you able to post screen grabs of the relevant preference settings for launching Opus. Specifically...

In order to determine the source of a given folder format which controls, amongst other things, column widths and sort order, hover your mouse over the padlock icon (shown next to SOURCE in the following screen grab) and post the results. In my C:\Windows example, the format comes from Content Type "Programs" which is set to sort by date modified. Let us know what your format source is for C:\ or D:\ or whatever folder you are looking at which is not formatted the way you expect it to be.

Regards, AB