Update DOPUS when used as a dongle version

Hi,
I use DOPUS as a dongle version on my company computer. How can I make an update to a newer version without loosing all my personal settings (layout, toolbars, scripts, buttons, shortcuts....) on this computer. Are these settings in a specific folder or distributed in several folders?
Thank you very much.

Hi!
I use the USB export daily, but never the "dongle" option. But what i do to update when i go home is:

1. On my USB drive i go into the DOpus folder (like D:\DOPUS\ with the folders: buttons, collections, configfiles etc.), and copy nearly everything to my local PC drive where the DOpus configuration is saved (on my win10 its: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus) overwriting everything.

2. I open the DOpus on my PC, then update it to the latest version through the menu.

3. When it updated i make a new USB export, when it asks for Select Export Options i choose to tick everything and im done.

When i go back to work everything looks just like it was before.

You don't need to do this. When the USB version is updated from the desktop version, only the system files are updated and the configuration files remain as they were, as long as you select upgrade and not replace.

Apologies, I'm not sure of the exact wording as I'm using a USB myself and the options don't appear in the Settings menu.

Also, I believe that Dongle/USB/Portable versions are the same things, just different terminology :slight_smile:

Yo @blueroly! Thanks for the comment!

I do it because sometimes i make changes at work, and sometimes at my home PC so every time i make sure that i copy my most recent settings of whichever i changed.

Yep, the terms can be misleading, like when i say: "Portable usb pendrive dongle memory stick" :smiley: and basically i only described a single thing. But in DOpus there are 2 modes to make a portable installation: Normal USB export and Dongle USB export. I never used the dongle mode but according to the help files the dongle mode is useful when you need to export it to a specific location on the USB drive.

That makes sense, my configurations are completely different for home and work use so this doesn't really apply for me. Maybe one day GPSoft will host our configurations files in the cloud so home/work are using the same files.

I didn't realise that but will look into it. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man! Cloud config save would be really cool!

And another £10 :laughing:

...but worth it!

And another £10 :laughing:

Hahaha :smiley:

...but worth it!

True that, word!

Thank you for the answers - so there is no easy and clear solution for this..
Just why I use the Dongle version - my computer at work doesn't allow to use USB storage devices (but I can download the whole software from the stick via some cloud service..), so no USB stick is allowed. However, the computer needs just a fraction of a second to block the USB stick and this is enough to use the stick as a dongle (insert the stick and immediately start DOPUS). To make things short: the software is on the computer and can only be started when the stick (where the export was done) is at the start in the computer.
I will try to do make an update the reverse way: All DOPUS files from the computer --> into the cloud service --> onto the stick--> update the stick --> and back to the computer...

So it's basically a portable/USB version on your hard drive? I didn't realise you could do that if that's the case.

What I do as a workaround for shared config is just autoupload to Drive my Dopus configuration, the entire dopusdata folder, every day scenario. I guess that if you use it in more that 1 place you can do something similar to have multiple copies.