Updating not working unless specific restart

Hi
Ever since I first got DOpus on my system I have had trouble installing the updates, or more correctly trouble if I didn't specifically restart/reboot the PC afterwards. On both my laptop and my desktop I tend to install updates (for all applications that require restart) right before I turn off the PC, but for DOpus this apparently makes the updating fail.
If I update and then restart i works fine, but when updating -> shutdown -> turn on PC it's like the update never happened. No error at all, just the old version starting up and telling me there's a new update available.

Side note: Last time I did this on my laptop DOpus wouldn't start and gave me the same error as here about difference in version of the components, but a simple uninstall and reinstall fixed that.

There should be no difference between restarting Windows and shutdown-then-restarting Windows.

If there is it points to a problem with the OS, possibly that something is preventing the registry being saved (with information about which files should be replaced on next boot) when shutting down but not when restarting, for some reason.

I agree there should be no difference, but DOpus is the only application with this issue on both my systems, which bugs me. Is there a good reason why DOpus does not fail to start up after turning on the PC? I would have imagined something going corrupt since it went through the installation and then not proceeding finishing it after "restart".

Not that I know of. We use a standard InstallShield installer, but Windows has a lot of moving parts that can go wrong, especially with all the combinations of drivers and software.

It might be worth checking the system event logs to see if they are recording any errors during shutdown or restart. They may mention problems saving the registry, for example.

There are differences between "restart" and "shutdown + start". In Win10 shutdown is kind of "modern hibernate" but restart is always full start. If you turn off fast startup - it will be good in both cases.

Cool, I'll make sure to test that the next time an update is available. A quick check through the system log didn't give me anything, but I'll take a more thorough look when I have the time. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, I noticed the same thing on my system a while back. It's annoying as hell, and Opus is the only application affected.

It's probably the only real huge application affected that makes so many changes. In fact some other programs doesn't like that hibernate shutdown mode (fast boot) and even some computers (black screen problem). Hibernation (all kind) always was a nice but problematic in the same time - depends on OS version and installed devices. But there may be possibility to force system to made single full shutdown - most of users don't even see the difference.

It may be helpful:

For those who want to shutdown computer after installing DOpus - just create shortcut for full shutdown instead of hybrid.

Second option is to use standard shutdown button while holding SHIFT key.

Just wanted to check in again and say that this seemed to be the cause of the problem. If I turn OFF the Win10 feature so the PC completely shuts down the update works as expected on next startup.

Fun fact: I have my PC connected to a "smart" power strip along with all the stuff connected to my PC (speakers, monitor...) so that all is turned off when the PC is off. However, before I turned this feature off that smart strip didn't always work, but now it works like a charm.

Thanks for the suggestion!