Upgrading

How much does it cost to upgrade and how can I do it? - the Email thing doesn't work.

If you bought Opus 8 in or after December 2006 the upgrade is free.

Othewise, it will cost approximately USD$40 / GBP£20 / etc.

[quote="nudel"]If you bought Opus 8 in or after December 2006 the upgrade is free.

Othewise, it will cost approximately USD$40 / GBP£20 / etc.[/quote]

Thanks - I bought the upgrade(two license was a good deal), but I wasn't referred to my reg code by Paypal.

Do you mean the licence hasn't arrived by email yet? If so drop greg [at] gpsoft.com.au an email and he'll look into it. (Remember the time difference. :slight_smile:)

If you've got anti-spam running on your account that requires the sender clicks a link to validate themselves then that will break the automated email, of course. It's probably just held up in a slow mail server somewhere along the way though.

Hello

Thanks for the help. It arrived quite a time later, things must be slow tonight.

On a related note, if I wait a while before upgrading, will the upgrade fee be the same? Also, if I upgrade, can I still use Opus 8?

The reason I ask is that my main system is very, very stable and I would prefer to wait a bit, experiment with Opus 9, maybe give it time for any bugs or issues to be worked out (GP Soft, creators of the best bit of software ever, are only human after all...)

Oh, and it says that the price includes minor updates for "12 months from date of purchase". Does that mean that if, for example, I buy now (April) and in May 2008 Opus 9.5 comes out, I won't be able to use it without buying a new licence?

I expect so. That's how it was for Opus 8, anyway.

Your Opus 8 licence will still unlock Opus 8 but if you bought an upgrade to Opus 9 then legally you still only have a licence for one PC (plus a personal laptop) and you can't have Opus 8 and 9 on the same computer (except via a virtual machine) so it's a bit of a moot point. Well, you could have Opus 9 on your main computer and Opus 8 on your laptop, I suppose.

That rule has never been enforced as far as I know. Minor updates don't check when you bought Opus, only that you have a licence for the version they're updating (6.x, 8.x, 9.x).

I think the rule is there more as protection from people buying a version and then never updating it, then demanding bug fixes 10 years later when nobody even has the source to the ancient version. That is my understanding, at least.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know really. I'd like to try Opus 9 out on a second machine before installing it on my main one. I always try to do it that way. If Opus 9 is unsuitable at the moment, for some reason, I can carry on with 8 until it is fixed.

You can always request a 60-day eval licence. Even though you're already an Opus 8 owner you're able to get an eval licence for the new version the same as a completely new user can. So you can install that on your other PC (or backup your Opus 8 setup and install it on your main PC) and see if you like it.