uTorrent opening two windows (was: Strange launch of opus)

I have had a strange issue that i can not figure out.

When I double click a RAR to unzip a video file on to my PC, and then double click the Video file to play with VLC, the video starts and I walk over to sit in the recliner and when I have a seat a second instance of OPUS launches over my video and I have to get back up walk over and close it to reveal the video playing beneath. I have no idea why OPUS is launching again just by double clicking on the video file.

I can also only recreate with those steps.... also strange.

Any idea? Any logs I can review to see why this is happening? Or any potential settings changes to stop this?

If you turn off Exploret Replacement (Preferences, Launching Opus), is it still ab Opus window which opens ot does Explorer open instead?

When I turned off replacement windows explorer launched instead of opus. Same timing... tv show starts... 10-20 sec of video has placed and them POOF explore launches and I have to close it.

What folder is it showing when it launches?

Downloads.

Weird... sounds like a VLC specific issue that's causing it to do a shell open of that folder which launches either Opus or Explorer depending on replacement mode. I found a few google hits mentioning sort of a reverse problem where somethgin about the VLC installation caused double-clicks on folder to launch VLC instead of just navigating the folders. Maybe VLC is just plain crazy :slight_smile:...

But seriously, you'd have to imagine there being a good reason for it specifically opening THAT folder... could VLC be trying to download something based on the specific video you're playing? Does the same thing happen if you actually extract the RAR file and play it from a normal folder rather than from directly within the RAR file?

Ok did some more digging around and here is what i found.

When Opus is out of the picture:
Double click Utorrent, brings up explorer DIR. Double click rar file and brings up WinRar. Double click tv show in winrar and brings up VLC and plays video... no problems.

This is routine I have done 1000's of times.

When Opus is set as replacement:
Double click Utorrent, brings up Opus. Double click rar file and brings up WinRar. Double click tv show in winrar and brings up VLC and plays video, then 15 secs later another Opus pops open.

However, if I close everything down and go straight tot he Opus then to winrar then to VLC works fine. Seems to be only when i start from utorrent using opus.

i had not experienced this before with Opus because i was using Utorrent on another PC and doing steps with opus on main PC from the point of winrar just like the "however" above.

I will keep toying but is a weird behavior.

What version of Opus are you running?

I know before the latest 10.0.2.0 that Opus would steal focus and bring the window back into focus if new files were added or changed. Was very annoying when extracting or joining files with 3rd party apps running and those apps would be put to the background even though it was still running/extracting.

10.0.2.0.4269.x64

Yikes, when did uTorrent get involved...? Confused now considering you said an Explorer Window popped up after disabling explorer replacement mode, how does dbl-clicking "uTorrent" open either Explorer "or" Opus. Time for beer I think...

When you double click on an entry of utorrent it opens what ever windows default explorer is to the DIR where that file you are torrenting is located. When i first mentioned the issue i thought utorrent was so far up the chain of events, "how could it be involved?". Apparently in some way it is though... heck it may be the culprit. But why it does it with opus and not windows explorer is beyond me.

I have a work around now but i would love to get tot he bottom of it if i could. I often do things on a PC that require the least amount of typing and clicks in my daily routines.... as a programmer and video gamer my poor writs get plenty of abuse as it is.

If i get some free time I suppose i can write a macro to do everything for me automatically, the only catch is the torrent name varies drastically.

Anyways thanks for everyone's suggestions.

[quote="steje"]Yikes, when did uTorrent get involved...? Confused now considering you said an Explorer Window popped up after disabling explorer replacement mode, how does dbl-clicking "uTorrent" open either Explorer "or" Opus. Time for beer I think...[/quote]Nah Steje...

You've missed the critical step. Go back and read the original post. It's obviously sitting in the recliner that causes it! :smiley:

[quote="bspeight"][quote="steje"]

You've missed the critical step. Go back and read the original post. It's obviously sitting in the recliner that causes it! :smiley:[/quote][/quote]

It sure did seem like it the first few times.... food ready, "The Video Guide To Linux ISOs and Other Perfectly Legal Torrent Downloads" launched and playing, sit down and lean back and ANNNNNNTTTTTTTT What the &%#($ why is OPUS over top the beards! It was always when I sat down and leaned back.

I edited your post slightly. :slight_smile: Please keep to descriptions of things that won't get anyone in trouble.

Are you extracting the video files to a normal directory, then double-clicking there?

Or are you extracting & opening the videos in one operation by double-clicking the videos directly within the download archive?

I double clicked, to open the file directory where utorrent downloaded "The Video Guide To Linux ISOs and Other Perfectly Legal Torrent Downloads" with opus, from inside utorrent.
I then double clicked, to open the rar with winrar, from inside opus.
And finally I double clicked, to play the "The Video Guide To Linux ISOs and Other Perfectly Legal Torrent Downloads" using VLC, from inside of WInRAR.

So yes I double clicked to open and launch OPUS, winrar, and VLC.

I tried different combinations of these apps without using them all together and the issue does not exist. However when i do it just as described it does... bu only when OPUS is the windows explorer replacement.

But you said earlier in this thread that when you disabled explorer replacement mode, that you got an Explorer window that popped up... hence my personal confusion.

I do not see how that is confusing.... when opus is set as replacement it opens, as it should. When replacement option is turned off windows explorer opens as it should. How is that confusing? That is the whole purpose of that option is it not?

The interesting thing is that when replacement is turned off and windows explore pops open in the same sequence of events the issue of a second file explorer opening over VLC does not happen.

My confusion stemmed from this...

Specifically - the "I turned off replacement" and "POOF explore launches" bits. So is the confusion still hard to understand?

@Bernard - :slight_smile:...

[quote="steje"]My confusion stemmed from this...

Specifically - the "I turned off replacement" and "POOF explore launches" bits. So is the confusion still hard to understand?

@Bernard - :slight_smile:...[/quote]

Yes I still do not understand why that is confusing. If you turn off explorer replacement then when the issue happens should it not be the explorer window that pops up instead of opus?

I am not convinced it is Opus fault yet because happens when turn off Opus as the windows replacement. However the only other post i could find on this happened to be an opus user as well.

forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=98844