Version 13.4 Quick Filter bug that default settings always does not apply

I can mostly confirm that this is a bug, that after I upgraded to 13.4 the quick filter function (when you type within the lister) will always default to use no option enabled:
Screenshot 2024-03-18 093753
Even when settings has the correct defaults:

I've tried to reset a few things and nothing changed this. The wrong defaults applies to every lister I have. Changing defaults does not change this behavior.

That definitely looks wrong, although I can't reproduce it here so far.

Do you have the old Quick Filter field on your toolbars (the one that acts like the filter bar, rather than the indexed search field which shouldn't be a problem)?

Or any script add-ins that might be changing filtering settings?

Hi Leo,

Old toolbar sounds like it, my Directory Opus is upgraded from V12. However before 13.4 it was working fine.

I tried to find how do I reset the Quick Filter toolbar, but I cannot find the detailed setting for it. But I think you are right, and my previous screenshot is actually wrong. The actual view is this:

Screenshot 2024-03-18 160132

Previously when I tried to take a screenshot, the green circled filter box disappeared so it is not showing. This field shows up only when I am typing, and has the issue. When I type in the orange circled box, it behaves as it is configured.

Gathering what I understand now, I assume there's two issues:

1. When typing for filter (assuming this is the Quick Filter box?), the filter no longer does a partial match.
  2. When typing for filter, the gear icon button menu shows no option chosen. Which is probably correct but a bit confusing (that I thought this is the filter option).

The bottom bar in your screenshot is the FAYT in filter mode. Normally that wouldn't come up as the filter bar is set to respond to the * key, and find mode is the default for the FAYT. You may have changed the settings though.

• FAYT Filter Mode is configured via Preferences / Filtering and Sorting / Find-As-You-Type / Filter Mode
  • Which mode is the default is configured via Preferences / Filtering and Sorting / Quick Keys

These are the default settings (filter mode has no key, filter bar has * as its key, and Find is set as the default):

Thanks Jon it looks like that's the FAYT setting. I think I can change the setting to make it behave right.

However, it still puzzles me to find this change so I tried to trace back if I changed any settings causing this. I have 3 computers running DO, 2 of them are on 13.4 and both behaves as it is now (no partial match); while the other one is still on 13.3, and FAYT is working as I expected (to do a partial match). And I found that there's no mention of the behavior change in release note of 13.4.

Anyways, updating the setting made it work for me, so I guess this issue is fixed. Thanks for the help!

Actually also to add, I think the default filter mode (without anything selected, I did a reset on the setting to make sure this is the case) does not make any sense - when I start to type, it shows nothing in the view, until I happen to typed in a full string exactly matching a file name, that file will show up. I don't think many real world usage would be benefitted from this.

Yes I think you're right, partial matching should be on by default. We'll change that in the next update.