Video - Directory Opus 13 Highlights (official)

The video was a good idea - it certainly pushed me to upgrade. I'm very happy with version 12 and wasn't rushing to upgrade since I don't use half of the features. I also started to tune out of the video 3/4 of the way through since there was too much to take in (although I had already been wowed by this stage :slight_smile: .

Before finding Directory Opus I wasted enough time trying different explorer replacements that I'll take the upgrade offer. I'm not a fan of subs but I understand that the sub is not needed for DOpus to work and I find it hard to resent DOpus going that way.

ps. now if I can only work out how to keep the font increases of the file window to stick I'd be very , happy. Also, feature request: one click increase every font incrementally by 1 for those of us with eyesight that's getting worse with age and not wanting to set everything manually! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s a “make permanent” button in the popup that appears after increasing the font size in the Lister now. (Or change it via Preferences, for the same result.)

thanks. strangely upgrading to 13 solved the issue. I wasn’t running the latest 12 so not sure if that’s related but now the font sticks in the file pane.

off-topic Speaking of which, Opus as audio codec is amazing, like our buddy DOpus here, especially for speech at low-bitrates like 30, 40 kbps easily, even very understable at 20 kbps. I converted some of my audiobooks to Opus, and won't go back.

3 Likes

I think that is a very good idea, not only for bad eyesight.
I have a 4K monitor and the default font sizes are a little bit small therefore. Even with 125 % windows scale. Tested 13 in a VM and that was too small.

Seems that I did that manually in Opus 12 as far as it was possible there...

Yes, the video was nice. For me a little bit too fast and I remembered first at the end that you can change the speed in youtube. :smiley:

1 Like

Normal scaling for a 4K monitor (that is the usual size/distance of a typical monitor) is 200%. 125% is way too small unless it's something like a 43" screen you're sat right in front of.

Surely everything is tiny with those settings, not just the default font sizes in Opus.

Its 32 Zoll. Windows and other programs are ok for me with 125 %.

I think 200 % is quite useless. Then you have not more space "on the desktop" compared to FullHD. Only the DPI is higher and everything is extrem big in size. Way too big for 32 Zoll.

According to Windows 150 % is standard/recommended for UHD. That match somehow. A little bit smaller then standard is ok for me.

There's still quite a bit more space, since elements like control frames remain 1 pixel thick in all scaling modes and thus become smaller the higher the scaling. (But higher resolutions are more about having smoother details than having more space. Larger screens are for more space.)

Opus 13 uses 9pt fonts by default, which is the current standard for desktop software. (If you're updating from an old config, it might be using 8pt fonts in some places, which was the old standard. Factory-reset the fonts page in Prefs if you want to make them all 9pt.)

9pt fonts at any particular scaling factor in Opus will be the same size as they are in everything else at the same scaling factor. (Of course, bits of Windows like Settings now use a UI designed primarily for small, touchscreen devices, with overly large, bold fonts and lots of wasted space just in case you start tapping things with your fingers. But I don't think we should consider that when talking about proper desktop software.)

1 Like

Perhaps it is also somehow a subjective size due to the amount of text and how much space is between the rows and how much additional information etc.

125 % is quite small yes. I think 150 % is more common.

Mostly that is ok for me. In Opus I had the feeling it is a little bit too small. So I increased a lot of fonts by 1.
Perhaps due to the information density... :slight_smile:

I think it looks like that the font for folder display in Opus is smaller then the Desktop symbol text, but seems to be the same size if you measure it (Screenshot out of the VM with Opus in default config):

The font in the opus forum is definetely a little bit bigger.

i love the new Folder Expansion feature within the listers! use it all day! it was one great things that linux's limited file explores has going for them.

i was wondering if there is anyway way to get archives [zip\7zip\rar] to behave as a directory within the lister using Folder Expansion as they can in the folder tree?

2 Likes

Not currently, but it's something we're considering. At the moment, you have to double-click them to enter them.

that would be amazing, ill keep my fingers crossed. I'm not great at scripting so wouldn't know where to begin.

Love love love this release! No-brainer, insta-upgrade!
Congratulations to the whole team, another outstanding release!

7 Likes

@leo @jon thanks for Opus 13. I've been amazed with your work ever since Opus 4.12 came out on Amiga. Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don't think that the first public release of Directory Opus 13 is quite ready for prime time. I downloaded it this morning and soon got lost in the confusing welter of adjustments to get it back to something I could work with to the point where I decided to do a system restore to get back to Directory Opus 12 and possibly start over. When the restore completed, I got back a mutilated version of version 12 and, more strangely, there were detached versions of version 13 toolbars all over my desktop. I eventually had to restore a disk image made before the installation of version 13 and I am now back to happily running version 12.
I think in the help section instead of providing a long list of features you were to deal first with initial things people might want to do to get up and running and then get into the more advanced features.

We've had no similar reports, and people have been testing Opus 13 for months now during the betas. Hard to respond without anything more specific, though.

Installing 12 over a config from 13 won't work, since older versions have no way of understanding newer configurations. You'd need to use a config backup made in Opus 12 or reset the config (uninstall will do that) if you wanted to go back to an older version.

2 Likes

yeah i went back & fourth between v12, v13.Beta, & v13 a handful of times to compare see changes without any issues.

and i should add, just about the only issues I've encountered have been of my own making via trying to customize too many overlapping hotkeys and\or commands. :slight_smile: therefore I've learned to make daily Full Backups [before and after] when i start customizing so i Restore quickly. i even set this to hotkey so its done with one click!

1 Like

Related:

1 Like

for sh*ts & giggles i just went and watch the old v10 and v12 highlight videos on the youtube... https://www.youtube.com/@directoryopus.

don't discredit them yet. dopus is so feature rich i still learned a handful of ""new"" tricks!

1 Like