As some of you may know, I have zero programming skills but I have an idea that I think others might like, at least I hope it wont only benefit me.
- Video thumbnail size. Windows (at least on 7) seems to have a max limit of video thumbnails of 256px. On high DPI monitors, that’s kind of small.
- Thumbnail information. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what the video is about by just 1 frame.
- Use a program like Video Thumbnail Maker to create index’s of all the video files. That’s nice, you can have a lot of frame grabs in 1 large image. And it can be automated to index entire folders (already done).
The problems that I never liked about that:
- You have a folder full of movies but now that list just doubled because of all the thumbnail indexes.
- You have to open and browse the thumbnails to find the movie you want, then close the image, go and find the file to open (DO11 and below).
What I’ve come up with so far thanks in-part to Dopus 12:
- Using Leo’s Viewer Select script, the viewer now selects the currently viewed image. So when you close the Image Viewer, the thumbnail image is selected that is next to the video file you want to view.
- (DO12 feature that makes it even better) Being able to create a button(s) that can play the video file that’s associated with the currently viewed thumbnail sheet. This can play the video while keeping the Image Viewer open or at the same time, auto close the Image Viewer. No need to close Image Viewer and open another file (That’s a big step! and the one step that’s making me tackle this new idea).
DO12 makes this a pretty nice system! But I think it can go one step further to help clean up the list of files.
Below is the part that I believe will make this little project complete and the part that I would never be able to do myself.
The final icing on the cake:
Example file list (notice Video3 is missing a thumbnail index):
What I would like to do is hide the .jpg files. That’s easily done, but how does one open the video thumbnail index for viewing without starting at the very beginning or some random spot? I figured a new column could display either assigned text, icon or maybe even a dynamically created small thumbnail of the image that links back to the .jpg file.
While the column is turned on and if an associated .jpg is found, then that row in the column gets filled. If the associated .jpg is not found, that row is left blank.
Example if the .jpg name was put in it’s own column:
Example if the .jpg name was put in it’s own column and dynamically renamed:
When clicking on the text, icon or thumb, it opens the Image Viewer of that hidden image. Normal previewing can commence. Using Dopus 12 and a ‘play & close button’, the Image Viewer goes away and the video starts playing.
Can something like this be done? If so, anyone willing to help with the project and do the hard part? I already looked at other scripts to see if something came close that I could modify, but it may as well just be written in a foreign language since programming doesn’t make sense to me.
Thanks for reading!