Videos are black and white in viewer pane

Hey there everyone, I've been having this issue for the past few weeks where videos show up as black and white in the viewer pane but images show up in full color. all the relevant codecs are downloaded and plugins are installed. I also provided some examples and the video I screenshot of. If anyone would be able to help me that would be amazing.

Many thanks, Duloxetine.

What happened a few weeks ago? My guess is something changed the video codecs/splitters or something else involved in decoding video (graphics drivers, or their configuration).

Does the same video play OK in other software?

Have you tried the alternative video players/plugins mentioned in the FAQ on fixing media playback?

The only thing I can think of would be a GPU driver update. Playback is normal in media player classic and widows media viewer. I'll do another codec reinstall right now and see if that helps the problem, hopefully it's just that but I doubt it, because the last few times it hasn't.

Edit: I use K-lite codec pack.

Did you get this resolved? It's happening to me now. I assume new nvidia drivers are the culprit

Have you tried the FAQ on video playback?

This happens to me as well with certain videos... not MP4 but i believe mpg's. I have Nvidia as the previous poster inquired. Was wondering if any progress was made on this?

I'd blame that pack.

Playback is fine on a plain vanilla Win11 system:

Didn't codec packs become obsolete 20 years ago? Why are they needed in 2022?

1 Like

It's just a little force of habit, but besides that I prefer the controls that the codec gives me in Opus, Rather than auto playing the videos I have to press play myself it has a loop function for when I listen to local music is very nice to have. It's just weird that it out of nowhere became black and white without me ever updating the codec for months.

I've had the same K-lite codec pack installed since January 2021 and this issue only popped up in the last month or so.

Has anyone actually fixed this?

Have you tried reinstalling the codecs that were working previously? Something probably broke/replaced them.

Yes, didn't change anything unfortunately.

After updating video driver to version ?, videos are black and white. . .

A quote I saw on another forum.

It's the nVidia driver. I was able to reinstall an older driver and it fixed the issue, I reinstalled the latest again to confirm. Ultimately I stuck with it because it's only causing an issue with Opus which is not my primary means of viewing video.

I don't use a codec pack and I have the same issue. It appears to be the nVidia driver, when I reinstall an older version the issue goes away. I switched between the two versions twice to be sure. For whatever reason it seems to be causing black and white playback only in Opus Movie plugin, using any video player other than Opus the videos are in color, at least on my system.

Workaround: If you disable the Movie plugin and let Opus use the system preview, the preview pane videos revert to color.

I have the K-Lite codecs installed and the latest Nvidia drivers, like others, I started getting the preview in black and white although not as early as the original poster, just a few days ago, today I got a pop-up saying the latest K-Lite beta codecs are out, version 17.3.7, after installing it, my preview is back on colour

1 Like