Viewer pane show which viewer?

1. Is there a way to identify which viewer plugin is being used in the viewer pane for a given file? I.E., activex, multiview, etc.?
  2. Relatedly, I ask because I'm having trouble viewing old word .doc files (maybe word 97?). I have Word 2003, and it can successfully open (and show in the File|Open preview pane those files. And the dopus viewer works successfully on newer word files (2003 and up). Of note, Windows Explorer (windows 10) preview pane says "No preview available" for any .doc file.
    TY in advance.

It should tell you at the top of the preview pane, if anything was able to load the file.

If Word previews aren't working in File Explorer either, fix that first, since it's the same viewer that Opus would be using. Repairing or reinstalling Office usually does the trick.

For pdf's, it does indeed show file name and "Foxit PDF Preview Provider". But for jpg's, it shows pixels and bit depth, but not which viewer plugin is being used. For Word, it shows "Microsoft Office Word Document", again not which plugin. And my original question was from a Wordperfect .wpd, (which is part of what I'm struggling to view), which doesn't show anything but file name and size, and shows as hex and ascii only. So I'm still wondering if there's a way to determine which viewer plugin is being used.

It's in brackets after the file name, if there's room. You may need to make it wider.

Sorry, my edit crossed with your answer. I'm using the horizontal preview pane. See my prior response edited

JPGs don't use plugins.

"Microsoft Office Word Document" is probably a name coming from a third-party viewer, the same as "Foxit PDF Preview Provider".

That's the Text plugin, which will show a hex view of things if nothing else can view them. It basically means there is no viewer installed for that type of file. (You'd normally see the file's icon instead, but have probably turned off the viewer pane's Shell Icons option.)