Vista: Can't get Directory Opus to replace Explorer

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. When I double-click on a folder it always opens in Windows Explorer even though I have set Directory Opus "Preferences" for DOpus to replace Explorer. However,if I right-click on the folder and select "Open in Directory Opus" all is OK.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? Wait for a Vista-compatible version of DOpus maybe?!

Only work around I know of at the moment is to use the right-click menu on the folder and select Open in Directory Opus.

A version with full Vista compatibility is in progress.

I installed DO8 on a Vista PC today, and I don't have an option to open in DP when I right click on the directory - and clicking a folder always opens it in WE.

Is it possible that DP has not installed properly?

Id the Vista version likely to be out before my trial expires?

[quote="pewe"]I installed DO8 on a Vista PC today, and I don't have an option to open in DP when I right click on the directory - and clicking a folder always opens it in WE.

Is it possible that DP has not installed properly?[/quote]
Try running Opus as Administrator temporarily by right-clicking the Opus icon and using the "Run as Administrator" option. You should only have to do this once for Opus to register the object which adds items to Explorer's menus.

If the items don't appear, keep running Opus as admin and go to Preferences - Misc - Windows Integration, turn off all the items, press OK, then go back into Preferences and turn on the items you want, then press OK again.

After doing this you can go back to running Opus as a normal process, without admin rights.

Of course, this issue will be gone in the proper Vista release.

I can't speak for GPSoftware but if you just started evaluating Opus then you've got about 60 days left and I'd be very surprised if the Vista version wasn't out by then as it's being worked on right now.

GPSoft have said that anyone who buys Opus 8 now will get a free upgrade to the next major version when it is released. So if you're happy with v8 but putting off buying it because v9 is around the corner then there's no need to worry. But, equally, if you want to wait to see whether v9 addresses issues with Vista then I think your evaluation time will see you through until then.

(Disclaimer: I don't represent GPSoft; all of this is my personal opinion/understanding.)

Thank you Nudel.

That seems to have worked, so I can now check out the rest of the programme before deciding whether it's for me.

I guess however that there may be one or two other issues caused by running it on Vista - which may unfairly give the impression that DO9 is not functioning correctly. But I'll keep an eye on the forum for other Vista posts and also post back if I run into any.

Thanks again.

First off, I was plesantly surprised to see that duble clicking the mouse worked to open DO again. I must say that I did not choose for DO to be the replacement for explorer becuase there are always issues with new OS's.

I will be trying to do more research, but I saw an opinion here that stated that DO9 will be free to DO8 users. Does anyone know if that is true? I know we will find out in a few months but I like knowing things as soon as they become available... ;>)

The upgrade to version 9 will only be free to those who bought version 8 shortly 9 was released. This is so that people aren't punished for buying what's available now rather than waiting, or for buying 8 without realising 9 was about to come out.

People who bought 8 a year ago will have to pay for the 9 update, but I'm not sure where the cut-off point will be. All that has been said (as far as I can remember, at least) is that anyone buying 8 from now on will qualify for a free upgrade to 9.

1st of December 2006 is the cut-off, anyone who purchased after that time will get a free upgrade to Opus 9.