Warning: Kaspersky malware detection

Kaspersky just out of the blue completely closed and deleted Directory Opus for PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic. Hours after updating, and something that never happened with version 12 nor with the beta.

I figured you would want to know. For the time being, I will personally set the application as an exception.

Trojan.Win32.Generic

Usual antivirus heuristic garbage, confused by a new version or new signing certificate. Unless it identifies something specific, it's always a false positive.

I was having Avast flag stuff and asking if it was okay, but it seems to have settled down. It just needs to be trained to recognize the new software.

I figured. Only there was zero warning nor any way to stop it or have it revert course, so it took it rather serious.

I would highly suggest people running Kaspersky to put the application folder (C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus) as an exception, to not have it wiped.

Unless one is ok with unexpectedly becoming a russian botnet member/proxy, I'd advise them to uninstall Kaspersky immediately.

1 Like

I don't really mind and track any traffic by other means anyways. They tend to offer the best protection for being so closely related to Russia, always having the latest signatures the fastest, and coming out of independent tests completely clean (this is quite frankly the only time I ever had an issue, and a false positive is always better than a false negative). It's more likely that Russia infiltrates other virus scanners and protections (as they have before) than that they would do so with this one.

With this one they don't need, it's already theirs.

1 Like

I obviously meant in terms of using it to spread malware and carry out attacks. No software is safe, and thus far it's non-Russian software that has been targeted and used by Russia for such the most. At least they are independently vetted, with data centers and controls in Switzerland, at least for Europeans.

But you do you. I just go by the PC Security Channel's philosophy.