What determines the settings of new tabs?

When I double-click on an empty tab space, a new tab opens and the directory is the same as the existing tab (which I like). However, I can't figure out how to get the new tab to be the same mode as the existing tab. In fact, I would like the new tab to inherit all of the properties of the existing tab, if possible. The problem I'm having is that the new always opens up in Details mode, even though the existing tab is in Power mode. I don't know where to change this.

As a sidenote, and I probably should start a new topic for this, but how do I create a new content type control? I want it so that when there is a directory of Autocad drawings (.dwg) then automatically filter out the (.bak) files so I don't see them. I don't know how to do this and I read the manual, and it still isn't clear.

Thanks.

hey super...

1)...

I took my 'regular' saved layout, went into Tools->Folder Options... and set the View/View as: drop down to Power Mode. I then hit the Save drop down 'button' at the top of the Folder Options window and selected For All Folders choice. After this, Dopus pops up an additional dialog about saving the format changes to which I answer Custom Only.

This way of setting the view (mostly the Save->For All Folders maneuver) is different that just selecting View->Power from the lister menu, which just changes the current folders view setting... this way 'saves' it.

From here, if you save the lister as a Layout... 'loading' that layout should preserve the format you saved for all tabs you open... but don't forget that since you have content type detection enabled that this will then bump you out of power mode for folders with criteria matching your content type rules...

2)...

About Content Type formats... they are directly linked to Dopus 'File Type Groups'. So, if you open Settings->File Types and add a New File Type Group, a new content type will be created. In fact, if you try to create a new content type through Preferences->Folders->Folder Formats, it throws a message at you and automatically opens the File Type editor... It's the extensions you add to the file type group that the Content Type Detection system uses to judge when to kick in...

I think when you open a new tab the mode and format are chosen for it using the same rules that are applied when you open a new lister.

If you want all tabs to open in Power or Details mode then set your folder options accordingly.

I don't think there's a way to duplicate the current mode into a new tab.

Ah... the force is strong with the noodley one...

I neglected to go back to my 'regular' layout (which is in Details mode) and create a new tab... sure enough, new tabs are then created with Power Mode (which I saved as the new Custom folder options format to describe to super).

Damn...
(slightly off-topic - don't mean to hijack you super....)

I'm apparently starting to lose my brain from being awoken throughout the nights to get my kids foot out from between the slats of the crib... I can't remember if I posted a rant about how I'd love to see the folder format/display/layout/style systems consolidated.

For instance, I'd love if the existing Layout system was simply extended so that it 'encompassed' all other aspects of lister visulization already available (there's already a degree of overlap)... as well as added some additional control that is not currently present in any of the appearance config systems. Now I remember (:-)) commenting on this a little, with one user rightly stating that each of these different appearance components in Opus had slightly different uses... and he was right. But if we had a Layout system that 'wrapped' all of the other appearance system settings I'd hope that we could continue to use the same settings only available now in 'Styles' for whatever use people use them for - but simply as a sub-ordinate visual element to a saved 'Layout'. Why not have lister 'Layouts' available for quick loading access on the 'Tabbar' where we currently have lister 'Styles'? From there, a primary difference between Layouts and Styles is that Layouts either create new listers, or load into the current lister and modify existing elements of the active lister like the current paths and stuff - but for which there is some level of control over now...

do what superboy is looking for as well as things like define what toolbars are turned on and where they are docked - and associate them with a layout.