Wierd icons overlay

Hi,

today I noticed strange icon overlay problem. Check the image below (dopus vs. explorer screenshot).
As you can see some folders have wrong overlays (dropbox and svn status icons).
Does anyone have some idea? I have the latest dopus version.

Try clearing the icon cache and rebooting.

Thanks for your response Leo.

I've tried dopus on my home computer and it showed the same behaviour. Check image below.
I then decided to run ClearIconCache, then rebooted, but same thing happened.

Then I did some thinking, and I came to conclusion that icons started to be corrupter after I've installed Gladinet Cloud Desktop application. I uninstalled it, rebooted and now dopus icons are working ok.

What I don't understand is what is going on here, how can Gladinet corrupt icons only in dopus but not in Explorer. And why does Gladinet corrupt icons anyway :smiley:

You've also got a weird thing going on there where some of your folders have no icons at all. I'd say there is something wrong with your system to do with icons, possibly caused by another shell extension. (Maybe Gladinet wasn't the cause, it just changed the results?)

Grab ShellExView (make sure you get the 64-bit version), run it and sort its list by the Type column. Look for the Icon Handler and Icon Overlay Handler extensions. The non-Microsoft ones should be highlighted in pink (if not, look in the Options menu). Disable them, reboot, and see if that helps. (If not, you can enable them again.)

The thing is that icons are always sort of random after every boot. Sometimes they are blank, sometimes little locks, sometimes svn status etc. Now it's like on the image below.
I tried these on my two computers, and always the same thing. Only removal of Gladinet solves it.

I tried your suggestion, ShellExView. I tried with Gladinet handlers disabled, but it didn't help.
I tried disabling some non-microsoft handlers, but also without results.

I've also contacted Gladinet support. They say that they don't have experience with Dopus, but they will check this behaviour.

Also, can someone explain to me why Windows Explorer show icons ok, but Dopus doesn't?
And since I've disabled Gladinet handler, how come icons are still wrong, but when I uninstall it it's ok. It must be something else.

You may be running into the problem that Windows only supports at most 16 icon overlays (due to some terrible design choices MS have never tried to address), and if you have shell extensions which use more (in total) then things can go wrong...

Tools for source control (e.g. Tortoise SVN etc.), often use up several slots. Throw in a couple more sync or backup tools which do the same and it's easy to run out.

The Opus vs Explorer difference could be in the order the different icon overlay handlers happen to be loaded in each program, or due to Opus showing shared-folder overlays by default (which Explorer no longer does on Windows 7).

It must be something more than this. Because I've disabled almost all overlays and I still get wierd icons.
Only full uninstall of Gladinet helps. I'm trying to understand why.