Win10 1709: anybody sensing Opus or other programs are sluggish?

After updating to the build 1709 of W10, I feel that Opus has become less responsive. At least one other program also seems slower. Other programs are alright.

I wonder if it could be the new Exploit protection. I saw "5 system overrides" set for Opus. I deleted them and rebooted, but this did not help. (Maybe these were left-overs from when I tested EMET 5.5 once - unsure if they are enable by default.)

If anybody is experimenting something similar, post here and let's try to find the culprit.

(Using Opus 12.7)

Hi,

Currently I'm trying Opus 12 and I feel it's work properly without any slow response / performance on my computer. Maybe some antivirus or other program which running the background cause this issues.

Thank You,
Hadi Susanto

Nothing abnormal from me. Have you checked out the windows report log?

Changing the exploit protection settings did not work, so I am back at 12.6 and the issue seems to be gone. Not only that, but the other program also is back at being as responsive as it was.

Makes me think that the cause of the issue is the 12.7 version (not version 1709, as previously considered).

That seems unlikely, unless dopus.exe was using high CPU or something.

Have you tried going back to 12.7 in case it was the reboots, not changing the version, that fixed things?

I had a problem with Opus and the latest Windows 10 build. At times it was like wading through treacle.

I eventually found that the problem was thumbnail generation. I use use thousands of thumbnails of all descriptions on my system. A bug in Windows 10 helpfully ditches them when the thumbnail cache is full - and the limit ir around 350 mbytes ( that's window's thumbnail cache not the Opus one). Sometimes all my eps and PDF thumbnails were re-building every couple of hours.

If you use many thumbnails that get stored in the Window's cache, it may be worth investigating.

Now I have fixed that problem I have to say that the latest Windows 10 and Opus worth crisply and with lightning speed.

But, there again, it could as Monty Python would say be "Something completely Different"

Nope.

Yes, going back to 12.7 made Opus and the other program slower again. Not every Opus' action becomes slower, but it is still unbearable.

Grouping by label is bugged on 12.7 anyway, so I will stay on 12.6 for now.

If you have a problem (or, as it sounds like, two problems) you're better off reporting them properly and letting us help you debug them. If you just give up and go back to an earlier version whatever the problem is will never be found and fixed, and you'll be stuck on the earlier version indefinitely.

I am aware of that. It is okay for now.

I read on another thread that Leo is already aware of the grouping by label bug.

I will wait a bit and later get back to this.

Right after I switched to 12.7 Opus was taking all the CPU it could but after I restarted the program I haven't had that problem since.

Everything works fine here with build 1709, although I suspect sometimes upgrading (instead of a clean install) might cause weird issues.

What I observed is that if I close some programs, Opus becomes fast again for a while, but only for a while.

There is nothing in common among the programs I close. Sometimes it is a browser, sometimes a chat program, among others.

Any idea of why this would happen?

Something low-level, would be my guess. Antivirus or drivers.

I had a similar issue and it turned out that Windows would try to reinstall some driver repeatedly in the background. Around every other boot everything became sluggish and Start menu & taskbar were acting up. In the end I've resolved the issue by disabling the

Settings / Accounts / Sign-in options > Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart

So you might try that...

The related issue seems to have been fixed by KB40582589, as reported here.