Win7: DOpusRT: Unable to launch Directory Opus from

I have a Win7 64bit system and have successfully installed the latest Directory Opus. ver 9.5.0.0.3565.x64

When I try to launch the default lister by double clicking on the desktop I get a message everytime

DOpusRT: Unable to launch Directory Opus from "C:\Program files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopus.exe"

However if I click start run and put that same path above the UAC prompts me if I want to allow this application to make changes to my PC and if I click yes then it loads up, however the double click on the desktop never works..

If I close Directory Opus altogether from the Systray and try to open "My Computer, Control Panel, etc I get the same Pop up above.

Very frustrating. I have tried to do a reinstall as well and it doesn't make any difference.

It sounds like you have dopus.exe set to run as administrator, which should never be done.

To undo it, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus, then right-click dopus.exe and select Properties.

On the Compatibility tab, ensure none of the options are turned on.

While you are there, do the same for dopusrt.exe and dopusx64.exe

[quote="leo"]It sounds like you have dopus.exe set to run as administrator, which should never be done.

To undo it, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus, then right-click dopus.exe and select Properties.

On the Compatibility tab, ensure none of the options are turned on.

While you are there, do the same for dopusrt.exe and dopusx64.exe[/quote]

Leo!. Omg thank you! That fixed everything!. Now I can launch DirOpus from the desktop with a double click!. I would have never guessed that setting "run as Admin" would cause that issue.

Thanks again!.

If you do need to do admin stuff with Opus, there's an Admin Mode which lets you elevate an Opus window for X minutes (X is configurable). (I don't think it's in the default menus/toolbars but you can drag it out of the Customize window's list of pre-made commands.)

You can also make buttons which use the @admin modifier to run individual commands with elevation.

My dopus executables are not set to run as admin, but clicking on the desktop still does not launch a lister, and clicking once or twice on the dopus shortcut pinned to the taskbar doesn't either. In the latter case three or four clicks will launch the lister. Any suggestions?

Have you checked your configuration under Settings -> Preferences -> Launching Opus?

It sounds like Opus is set to do nothing when first started, and you don't have it running in the background at login. That would mean clicking the pinned taskbar button first just launches it in the background and you have to click the button again to actually open a window.

Double-clicking the empty space on the desktop should always open a window, whether or not Opus is already running, provided the feature is turned on in Preferences and you're not running a replacement Windows shell.

Sorry -- should've said that my preferences have always been set to launch opus by clicking on the desktop, specifically, bring the last active lister or default lister up when clicking on the deskop, and on the taskbar. I do not have opus set to launch at startup, so now I've got a partial explanation why clicking the taskbar isn't immediately launching the lister.

If desktop double-click is on you should see dopusrt.exe running in the background in Task Manager. Is it there? If not, it's possible something is blocking it from running at startup. (e.g. Windows Defender)

Thank you very much; I figured out that I have to launch dopus at startup in order to be able to launch listers from desktop or taskbar for the first time in a session. Seems to be working properly now.

It's only the small dopusrt.exe program which needs to launch at startup for desktop double-click, not the full dopus.exe.

If desktop double-click is enabled in Preferences then Opus should make dopusrt.exe run at startup automatically, unless you (or some security software) undo that via the registry.