Window Sizes / Position

I am new to Directory Opus. Still evaluating.

I would like to have Some Folders display at a specific size and location on the desktop I set them at and others different.

For instance I want to open my fax folder in the middle of the screen and other folder with files I am using for programing in another.

Right now when I open a folder, DO opens the window in the location of the last DO window I closed.

Been looking through the settings but have not come across this option yet.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

You can use Lister Layouts to do that. Here's a short page about them:

http://gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/default.htm#!Documents/Layouts1.htm

(2021 edit: Here's the Opus 12 version of the same manual page, since this thread/link seems to get clicked a lot: https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/#!Documents/Layouts1.htm )

Leo

Thanks Leo,

I have been working with that and can get the Window Position to save to the Lister Layout.

But the Thumbnail Size always returns to the default size.

I was hoping there was a way for the program just to remember locations without having to save layouts like this. Kind of like Windows XP where it can remember the size and position of a windows folder. So that whenever I opened that folder it would just be in the format I wanted.

Still a lot to learn... Maybe there is another way.

Michael

The only permanent thumbnail size setting is the one in Preferences / File Display Modes / Thumbnails.

Changing the size via the slider on the toolbars is only a temporary change, for that window only, and not stored in the layout.

If it helps, you can make buttons and hotkeys which adjust the thumbnail size like moving the slider but only requiring a single click/push to jump to a specified size.

Ahh.. So the thumbnail size is global?

Can't have it one size for one window and another for a different one?

Not a huge issue. But woudl be nice.

Thanks,

Mike

You can have different sizes in different windows by moving the slider (or making buttons/hotkeys which do the same). The slider only affects the window it is attached to.

But that size is not saved, so when you open a new window it will always use the global size in Preferences initially.

Right... That is what I meant.

Is there "Wish List" location for asking for new features for this program?

Thanks,

Michael

Just posting ideas here is enough for that.

(Suggestions gain more weight if posted from a linked account, but you can't link your account if still using a free evaluation.)

I understand completely. I am a software developer myself.

This is just day 1 on D.O. for me so I need at least a little time for that. :slight_smile:

Thanks

I'll throw my vote in on having thumbnail size saved with the lister. I'm trying to set up a no-brainer shortcut for my wife to browse her pdf recipe folder and so the more I can simplify things the better. For her "recipes" tree, I'd like to have the pdf thumbs show up bigger. I'd even like options to be able to hide some toolbars, items in the folder tree, etc. and add a simple localized search bar for the lister too. I've used DO for quite a while but I'm a bit daunted by the huge flexibility it contains. Any help toward understanding it better is much appreciated.

Actually, I'll give a +1 as well for remember thumbnail sizes or setting a specific size.

My Dopus opens to Computer and I have that set to Thumbnails (128px). If I'm working with images and temporary turn on thumbnails and slide them bigger, then open another tab, my Computer thumbnails are now matching the adjustment I made from the other tab (all normal behavior). Being able to set my Computer thumbnail size to always be 128 would be nice. Maybe keeping it as simple as adding "thumbnail size" to the Folder Format -> Display tab (if thumbnails is picked as it's view) would work nicely.

Hmm, the problem is that anything added to folder formats then becomes difficult for people to configure consistently across all folders. (We get enough questions just on the view mode and columns which are inherently part of folder formats.)

FWIW, you can have different thumbnail sizes in different tabs and windows, but you're right that opening a new tab inherits the current tab's thumbnail size.

Also note that you can create buttons or hotkeys which instantly set the current tab's thumbnail size to a specified value, for quickly changing between a couple of sizes (I'm guessing most people only use a normal size and a very large size).

Oh, I understand what you're saying. I only brought it up because others did first. It really doesn't bother me at all, so low on my wish-list that it's not even worth adding a button to clutter my toolbar with :wink: I currently just double-click the thumbnail size slider to take me back to my default 128px size or just turn off my thumbnail view.

No worries Leo. Thanks

I was about to post about this very same subject, so I just wanted to see if the feature of adding saving sizes/position of windows was implemented or put into a wish list for consideration cause I'd like to add my support for it.

The lister layouts are a good feature, it only becomes an issue for me when I accidentally close a window. I usually navigate from my computer to the same directory or directly via the command line if I have one open, but then it isn't in it's proper position or size. I am not too concerned about thumbnail sizes and tabs because all that stuff is disabled for me by default.

As a possible alternative, maybe add a option to the lister layout that would only "Only open missing listers". Currently you if you try to open a lister layout a second time, you get duplicate windows open. The "close all existing lister windows" option for me is a definitely unusable because it would also close all the other listers I wanted open but aren't part of my lister group.