Windows 10 Start Menu Items

Hello,

Just checking to see if there has been any further thought about adding Start Menu items to Windows 10 (if possible) so that Directory Opus is another item that can be added. (I see a post re: this from back in August that it was under consideration.) It would be great to have a way to have functionality similar to what the File Explorer listing has there, being able to open recent and pinned documents right from the Start Menu, but by using Dopus.

Thanks for listening. It's been a while since I tuned in here. Still loving DOpus. It's still the first application I load on a new installation of Windows. I hope all of you are doing well.

Cheers!

Wayne

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. Can you link to the previous discussion you're referring to? Or just post in that so we have context, and I can delete this thread.

Hello Leo,

Great to hear from you!

Please let me clarify. The thread I saw in August was a bit different than what I am suggesting. I've attached the screenshot below to clarify what I am proposing: adding a Start Menu item for Directory Opus in Windows 10 to mimic that functionality provided there for File Explorer, which would open a new Lister and also show Pinned and Recent files.

Thanks,
Wayne

I doubt there is any API for customizing that part of the Start Menu. Microsoft don't typically think of or care to provide such things. If there is one, or if any other program allows itself to be added there, let us know what it is and we may be able to do the same.

Leo,

I think I proved what you just said. While I found the folder where the shortcuts are stored, it was ignored.

I added a shortcut to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places folder and it does not show up:

"%PROGRAMFILES%\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Prefs LAYOUT="Default""

Also, even with DOpus in Explorer replacement mode, clicking on File Explorer from the Start Menu item opens up File Explorer rather than DOpus.

Thanks,

Wayne

If it's like the menu you get when you right-click the Start button, the shortcuts would need to be signed in an undocumented way to show up. Microsoft's way of ensuring that 3rd party developers don't pollute the menu with garbage, but it also means the user also cannot configure the menu as they wish.

Someone did work out how to sign the shortcuts in the other menu, although I don't know if that still works on Windows 10 or whether it's the same for this different menu.

That's by design. We still want people to be able to get to Explorer if they run it explicitly, even when replacing it as the default folder handler.

OK, Thanks Leo.

Wayne