Windows Explorer slow

I have a copy of DO 12.6 on my desktop and my laptop. Both are Windows 10 Pro.
Both have issues with lost of threads hanging (I go to the properties of explorer in task manager and select analyze wait chains).

I will have from 2+ threads with wait chains, sometimes the number is very high. It also slows down the launching of apps, or emptying recycle bin.

I have to manually end task explorer and restart it to make it run normally again.

This issue does not occur with my computer without DO.

Any ideas?

t.

Explorer having hanging threads or being slow is not likely to be anything to do with Opus. It's more likely to be due to a shell extension or some other issue. ShellExView is a good tool to use to see which shell extensions are installed and disable them. We don't support Explorer, though, so we can only provide limited help if the issue is not related to Opus.

Assuming we're talking about Resource Monitor (which has an Analyze Wait Chains feature), not Task Manager (which doesn't AFAIK), what does the dialog actually report?

e.g. I see this when I use it on Explorer.exe here, which seems normal:

Is Opus indicated in any of the wait chains for you, or are you basing Opus's involvement just on which software is installed on the machines? Which other software is common to the machines having problems?

Hi Leo,

I had selected opus not to replace windows explorer as I wish to still use it for some actions, but I clearly notice a quite significant performance downgrade in windows explorer following dopus installation, uninstalling got the previous performance back and reinstalling slowed down again so its almost definitely related, I guess my question is if there's a way to have dopus installed but use only when selected and totally not run (not even in the background) when exited.

A quick search with Process Explorer shown many dlls and .exe files running in the background even when opus is not running and windows startup is set to off.

Which DLLs and EXEs? Do they have any connection to Opus?

Opus should not, and does not normally, affect the performance of Explorer. We'd have hundreds of complaints if it did.

This screenshot is from the Windows Sysinternals app "AutoRuns"

DLLs don't "run in the background". Most things shown there are only invoked when certain things happen (e.g. when you right-click on a file).

Use Task Manager to see what processes are actually running. If you turn off Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Desktop / Double-click on the Desktop then no Opus processes will run once you have fully exited it.