Word - Freezing

A lot of times when I click on a Word document to either change its name or to access it, it freezes. When that happens, I have to come out of Directory Opus and go back in - sometimes I have to wait a few minutes to get into Directory Opus. This does not happen to PDF documents. I have the latest version of Word. This is driving me crazy!!

Could this be an overly zealous antivirus program?

I wonder if the root cause is similar to your older thread about freezes in Opus with doc and PDF files. Maybe something that can affect both programs at different times (so Lxp's guess of antivirus might be correct).

We also had a report that NVidia Broadcast seemed to cause a problem when Word opens:

If the viewer pane is open then that might affect things, as Word's preview handler would be trying to open the file at the same time Word itself is opening it.

Have you checked what happens in File Explorer to see if the same happens there?

File Explorer seems to be working ok, but the File View does not always work. My main issue is with Word is D Opus. Some Word documents are now taking ages to open. Thanks.

All Opus does is tell Word which file to open. We aren't really involved in what happens after that.