Wrong icon for exe files (Opus & Explorer)

Hello,
I've installed Directory Opus on a new computer (an iMac, on a Windows 10 partition).
I'm having a problem: when I open a new folder, just before loading the correct icon for .exe files, Directory Opus always shows the Excel icon (!).
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruno Del Frate

Does the icon look like this one, or something else?

wc_dopus_611

For each .exe file in a folder, first Directory Opus shows the Excel icon for a split second, then the correct icon for that .exe.

So it's not the icon shown in my screenshot above?

The system icon cache is probably corrupted in that case. Try using Clear Icon Cache and that will probably resolve it.

If it doesn't, which icon do you see if you create a new text file and then rename the extension to .exe, like in my screenshot?

I've already tried Clear Icon Cache, but it didn't solve the problem.
Even when I rename a text file extension to .exe, the Excel icon is shown for a split second.

I've done a quick video of my problem - sorry for the very bad quality. As you can see, when I open the "Setupdisoftware" folder, the Excel icon is shown first for all those .exe files:

1 Like

Which icon do you get if you turn on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for: All Folders? Is it also the Excel icon then?

Yes, it is!

If you make a file with no extension (e.g. Ctrl-o to create a new text file in Opus, then delete the .txt part from the end), then view that file in Explorer, is it using the Excel icon there as well?

If it does, the problem isn't Opus but is in the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\DefaultIcon is probably pointing to the Excel icon for some reason.

It should point to %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,0

The registry key is correct, but unfortunately the Excel icon is still there, even if I make a file with no extension :frowning:

1. Which icon did you get in Explorer?

2. Have you used anything that might modify the icons inside shell32.dll?

Hmm, in Explorer I got the same Excel icon, so I guess that's a Windows related problem then, and it's not related to Directory Opus. Sorry for this, I should have tested the problem on Explorer before posting.
I haven't modified the shell32.dll icons, or used any program to customize icons. Weird!
Anyway, I'll look for a solution in some Windows-related forum. Thank you very much for your help and support!

1 Like

I solved the problem, if anybody is interested. It's a bug in the "Parallels Desktop" software, so it's NOT related to Directory Opus.
To solve it, I had to delete the following registry keys (actually I renamed them, just to be safe):

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\_auto_file

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.

Both keys had subkeys pointing to the Excel executable.

3 Likes