Your best candidates for 9.1 features?

Here are mine's:

1. Extended archive support (more archive formats, CD/DVD images, installers). Yes I know there is VFS interface, but the fact of life is that there is not much developers supporting it. DO looks definitely weak in this department. :blush:
  2. File operation queueing.
  3. Viewer improvements- ability to select plugin used for for viewing, support for text viewing of HTML, XML with stripped tags. Ability to select action for dblclick (Close viewer or switch fullscreen/windowed)
  4. Integrate viewer with search for contents function. I mean, after searching for file contents I am left with a list of files and... what now? The best way would be something along:
  • double click on found file
  • viewer panel/standalone opens and sets itself for the first occurrence of the found text
  • easy way to navigate for next/previous occurrence
    And as another option:
  • viewer opens with a list of lines found with the search text, along with indication of the file where it was found.

X.

I'd like this too. Not because I use any of the obscure formats but because people keep mentioning them. :slight_smile:

(Okay, ISOs are not obscure, but I'm happy using Daemon Tools for them and would continue to do so since you can't run a setup.exe from inside a VFS plugin if it needs access to other files on the disc unless you want to wait for the entire CD to be copied to a temp directory.)

(Okay, I do have to extract the odd .7z or .tar.gz but it happens so rarely that I don't really miss not being able to browse them without extracting them.)

If nobody else has produced any VFS plugins in a few months, when I'm on sabbatical from my day-job, then I will be making at least a couple.

Meanwhile, maybe we need to do something to attract plugin developers to Opus. GPSoft have given out free licences for people who have made plugins in the past...

Greg made it sound like this is very likely for 9.1 or 9.2.

You can do this already, unless I've misunderstood.

Right-click the viewer and use the "Use Plugin" menu. (If the viewer plugin overrides the menu then you can access the menu by right-clicking the viewer pane's titlebar or (I think) via the standalone viewer's File menu.)

View the HTML file and then select Use Plugin -> Text.

What's that?

Makes sense to me.

I'd like this too. It would save me loading TextPad to do searches all the time, which is a hassle as I have to copy the current directory into TextPad's search dialog. (I wish TP had a command-line interface to the Find in Files function.)

Opus 9 already adds the ability to configure the Left or Middle mouse click to Close the Standalone Viewer. I submitted a request for this one after seeing a few people talk about it in the forums.

Double-Click is still hardcoded to toggle slideshow mode though, I think.

I'd love to be able to double-click on the lister title in a dual lister mode and have it close the other lister and open the selected one full screen. Or is there a way to do this already?

No there isn't. And for good reasons. I'm not sure if by "lister title" you mean the Window Title or the File Display border.

Double-clicking the Window Title is a Microsoft Windows convention to Maximizing the current window (or restoring it when it is already maximized). So using this is out of the question, as Opus would no longer work like other standard Windows applications.

That leaves the File Display border. There would be an issue here because there is no static free space on the File Display border. If you are in a very deep folder path the FDB will be filled up with the hotpaths. Single-clicking any folder along the a FDB hotpath will list that folder in the current file display. Thus adding another double click to the FDB would dramatically increase the potential for human error.

personally I bind a the F7 hotkey in Customize - Keys to toggle the dual file display on and off using this command:

Set Dual=Toggle
Toolbar LOCAL TOGGLE STATE=center NAME="File Commands"

The toolbar named above is a collection of file commands designed to be used between dual file displays.

Also if you single-click the button in the upper right hand corner or the dual file display, it will close that tab. If only one tab is open, it closes the dual file display. This is a static location so it should be easy enough to find.

Opus already provides non-standard behaviour for titlebar dbl click - if you turn on Prefs - Listers - Options - Double-click on title bar zooms Lister.

Hey I forgot about that. However, the non-standard feature could be viewed as an improvement the standard Windows feature (both resize the window).

I still believe, the little [X] button on the FDB is easy enough to find for the purpose.

[quote="nudel"]I'd like this too. Not because I use any of the obscure formats but because people keep mentioning them. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Well, I guess that people simply need that!
In a homage to Amiga I think also some Amiga-related formats should be supported as well (ADF/ADZ, DMS, LZX, LHA)- also I use them pretty often.
Also I think that even read-only support for the most of the "to be supported" formats would still be much appreciated.

You can do this already, unless I've misunderstood.[/quote]
Well, now the File>Modules item is not always active and even when it is, it mainly shows only an option to configure current module (it seems there are differences here between viewer panel and standalone- I haven't investigated).
I meant that there always should be hot-key access to f.e. text-only and shell (ActiveX I think it is) viewer.

View the HTML file and then select Use Plugin -> Text.[/quote]

I have to check that. I meant HTML rendering like in Lynx

What's that?[/quote]

XML run through PERL s/<.*?>//g expression :slight_smile:

I've looked for this in many text editors, but no success so far.

X.

I too am looking forward to queuing. It would be nice if you could have dialogues appear in a different position as well. Say I start a copy, it appears right in the middle of the lister, in the way. I need to move it before I can carry on working with the lister. Maybe have it appear at the top/bottom of the lister, or in the lister frame (the coloured bit that indicates source/destination) as an icon that can be clicked to bring up the full dialogue.

[quote="kenalcock"][quote="djeaton3162"]I'd love to be able to double-click on the lister title in a dual lister mode and have it close the other lister and open the selected one full screen. Or is there a way to do this already?[/quote]Double-clicking the Window Title is a Microsoft Windows convention to Maximizing the current window (or restoring it when it is already maximized). So using this is out of the question, as Opus would no longer work like other standard Windows applications.

That leaves the File Display border. There would be an issue here because there is no static free space on the File Display border. [/quote]Yeah...it is the lister display border that I was talking about. I just intuitively think of it as maximizing a child window.

[quote]personally I bind a the F7 hotkey in Customize - Keys to toggle the dual file display on and off using this command:

Set Dual=Toggle Toolbar LOCAL TOGGLE STATE=center NAME="File Commands" [/quote]That worked like a charm. Maybe I'll get used to using it. Thanks.
D.

As I wrote in several other places, I would love to see cached index search function... I love it so much in VistaGlance and I am so exasperated that I can do so little with the results...

1. To get proper archive support, DO would only have to enhance its already existing VFS plugin for Total Commander FS and packer plugins (too bad that there has been no progress on that, makes no sense to try):
    [resource.dopus.com/t/dopus-lacks-the-power-still/1047/11)

Count the amount of available packer plugins that could be used and then try to imagine how much time it needs to reinvent the wheel instead...:
en.totalcmd.pl/download/wcx
totalcmd.net/directory/packer.html

Well, Jon thinks that there are no useful TC plugins... Good joke, really! :slight_smile:

Icfu

I'd like to see support for mouse back button, to go back to the previous directory. Vista supports this in explorer.

Or, is there already a way to do this?

First, let me congratulate you on DOpus 9. It's awesome!

I would just like to add my voice to those requesting full 64-bit support in DOpus. Being sophisticated users, your customers tend to be early adopters, and I think you will find that many more of them are either already running a 64-bit version of Windows or are planning to do so in the near future than the population at large. (Me, I'm moving to Vista x64 tomorrow.) I think the main reason for this is that more and more people are bumping up against the memory limitations of the 32-bit OSes.

[quote="TomT"]I'd like to see support for mouse back button, to go back to the previous directory. Vista supports this in explorer.

Or, is there already a way to do this?[/quote]

It's a mouse configuration issue. See the FAQ for how to fix it:

[How to: Make Logitech Mid/Back/Forward buttons work in Opus)

[quote="TomT"]I'd like to see support for mouse back button, to go back to the previous directory. Vista supports this in explorer.

This is most likely an issue with your mouse drivers.

My Logitech Mouse forward and back buttons work in Opus 9 on both Vista and XP. I did not install Logitech drivers though, I just use what comes with Windows.

Please read this:
[How to: Make Logitech Mid/Back/Forward buttons work in Opus)

First I have to say, congrats on DOpus 9! Another job well done!

Love the USB export feature but I would like to see an option to export an additional folder from the DOPUS root. I have a ton of batch files and small dos tools I'd like to transfer with the USB export. Ideally Iโ€™d like to see a dialog that shows the root of DOpus and all the folders within that allows you to select folders using check boxes or something to include within the export. For example I have folders called bin, bat, snd, ico, etc

If thatโ€™s not possible then an option to include one folder called custom or such that if it exists, it will always include this folder and all contents including subfolders during the USB export process.

[quote="Xyzzy"]Here are mine's:

1. Extended archive support (more archive formats, CD/DVD images, installers). Yes I know there is VFS interface, but the fact of life is that there is not much developers supporting it. DO looks definitely weak in this department. :blush:
    X.[/quote]

Yup, I'd like this too, ISO comes to mind.