Your best candidates for 9.1 features?

1. To get proper archive support, DO would only have to enhance its already existing VFS plugin for Total Commander FS and packer plugins (too bad that there has been no progress on that, makes no sense to try):
    [resource.dopus.com/t/dopus-lacks-the-power-still/1047/11)

Count the amount of available packer plugins that could be used and then try to imagine how much time it needs to reinvent the wheel instead...:
en.totalcmd.pl/download/wcx
totalcmd.net/directory/packer.html

Well, Jon thinks that there are no useful TC plugins... Good joke, really! :slight_smile:

Icfu

I'd like to see support for mouse back button, to go back to the previous directory. Vista supports this in explorer.

Or, is there already a way to do this?

First, let me congratulate you on DOpus 9. It's awesome!

I would just like to add my voice to those requesting full 64-bit support in DOpus. Being sophisticated users, your customers tend to be early adopters, and I think you will find that many more of them are either already running a 64-bit version of Windows or are planning to do so in the near future than the population at large. (Me, I'm moving to Vista x64 tomorrow.) I think the main reason for this is that more and more people are bumping up against the memory limitations of the 32-bit OSes.

[quote="TomT"]I'd like to see support for mouse back button, to go back to the previous directory. Vista supports this in explorer.

Or, is there already a way to do this?[/quote]

It's a mouse configuration issue. See the FAQ for how to fix it:

[How to: Make Logitech Mid/Back/Forward buttons work in Opus)

[quote="TomT"]I'd like to see support for mouse back button, to go back to the previous directory. Vista supports this in explorer.

This is most likely an issue with your mouse drivers.

My Logitech Mouse forward and back buttons work in Opus 9 on both Vista and XP. I did not install Logitech drivers though, I just use what comes with Windows.

Please read this:
[How to: Make Logitech Mid/Back/Forward buttons work in Opus)

First I have to say, congrats on DOpus 9! Another job well done!

Love the USB export feature but I would like to see an option to export an additional folder from the DOPUS root. I have a ton of batch files and small dos tools I'd like to transfer with the USB export. Ideally I’d like to see a dialog that shows the root of DOpus and all the folders within that allows you to select folders using check boxes or something to include within the export. For example I have folders called bin, bat, snd, ico, etc

If that’s not possible then an option to include one folder called custom or such that if it exists, it will always include this folder and all contents including subfolders during the USB export process.

[quote="Xyzzy"]Here are mine's:

1. Extended archive support (more archive formats, CD/DVD images, installers). Yes I know there is VFS interface, but the fact of life is that there is not much developers supporting it. DO looks definitely weak in this department. :blush:
    X.[/quote]

Yup, I'd like this too, ISO comes to mind.

I'd like this too. Not because I use any of the obscure formats but because people keep mentioning them. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

What is so obscure with 7Zip ? Or tar-gz or tar-bz2. The Unix archivers are often used for Python modules distribution, or any source-code or documentation stuff on Unix, 7Zip has a very nice compression ratio, much better than Zip.

Having a heterogenous network I use them daily.

Hmmm, I do not find 7z odd, but modern. I use it (or tar/bz2) for all my personal archiving purposes.

Maybe something like this:(crappy Google translation of a TotalCommander plugin wrapper for SpeedCommander). With such a wrapper, many of these could be used, maybe. Hmmm, that would be nice :slight_smile: Nudel for President :wink:)

I wonder, why Jonathan does not do them himself, however. His only answer seems to be: "Use the SDK, Luke." Every god damn Explorer-Replacement/Filemanager has more support for archives. TotalCommander is the best. SpeedCommander has a plugin, that allows one to use many of the TotalCommander plugins. And not everybody is a Jedi.

What is the reason, GPSoftware does not ? Instead relies on users to learn how to code ? I dare to say, that more VFS is the most often requested feature in this forum, yet nothing happens, instead the issue gets played down.

Maybe GPSoftware just should do those themselfes ? :wink:

Greg made it sound like this is very likely for 9.1 or 9.2.[/quote]

Cool. Does this mean, that we get some internal batch-processing with pipelining ?

I'd like this too. It would save me loading TextPad to do searches all the time, which is a hassle as I have to copy the current directory into TextPad's search dialog. (I wish TP had a command-line interface to the Find in Files function.)[/quote]

Hm ? But you can do this, no ? Not with TextPad, but with the internal viewer. Simply open a lister in search-mode, change the view to "preview" (or image-brwosing or what its name is) and there you go. As soon you have your search-results in the "Collections", you can browse them ant get them in the viewer. Okay, one needs to have search-results go to the Collection.

Ok, here is my list:

[ul]Plugins:
[ul]1) 7Zip, TARGZ and TARBZ2 plugins, at least[/ul][ul]2) POP3/IMAP plugin[/ul][ul]3) Disk Images (ISO, BIN, NRG, some others. most notably C64 emulators and UAE or VirtualPC stuff)[/ul][ul]4) Firefox's bookmark.html as VFS, so one can organize and edit the bookmarks list[/ul][ul]5) same for PLS and M3U[/ul][ul]6) Registry as VFS[/ul]
[/ul][ul]ActiveScript scripting replacing the internal command-line parser or, since I do not know what happened to ActiveScript and the WSH with Vista (is it gone ?), integration of a Powershell host into Dopus. There is some efforts of MS to establish PowerShell as the new script-host, if I remember correctly.
For some programs using ActiveScript very nice check out www.klient.com for maybe the best IRC application since AmIRC, very nice. One can script the whole application. SpeedCommander seems also to use ActiveX for it's scripting, so that should be possible with Dopus also. The current scripting is clumsy and not elegant.[/ul]

@amix:
Like mentioned on the last page, there already IS such a plugin:
[Your best candidates for 9.1 features?)

Follow the link and draw your conclusions...

Edit: Ah well, you have been part of that discussion already, I have just seen...

Icfu

Actually, out of nearly 5000 threads in the forum, only 29 make mention of 7zip. Try the search yourself if you don't believe me.

The fact is that there are as nearly as many "urgently needed features" as there are users of Opus. Almost everyone has their own pet feature without which Opus is totally useless and every other file manager is far better. And I'm only one person, which means things have to get prioritized.

The VFS SDK is there for people to use - if you don't know how to use it, maybe you should learn to program, and then you will see that these things do not magically happen just by sitting down at the keyboard and snapping your fingers.

Even better, find people who wrote plugins for other programs and tell them about how great Opus is so they might join us and write some Opus plugins. :slight_smile:

GPSoft have given away free licences in the past to plugin authors (well, at least one anyway) and I'd be willing to personally pay for someone else's licence, out of my own pocket, if they made a good VFS plugin or two (because it would save me having to write them and let me write some other plugins instead and because I'd love to see more of a 3rd-party developer community making stuff for Opus).

The tools are all there to make the plugins, we just need willing and able programmers. Personally, I couldn't give a flying squid about 7zip but I'll write a plugin for it eventually, if nobody else does, since other people want it. (The same as I wrote the RAW camera plugin even though I have no use for it myself.)

Well, how much threads are needed to qualify? Most forum admins expect people to use the forum search and not create redundant threads for no reason. In every 200th thread 7-zip is mentioned, this sounds a lot to me regarding that DO isn't exactly the file manager of choice for archive handling.

RAR is mentioned in only 90 threads by the way, and the format is well known for ages and already implemented... :wink:

Icfu

Leo, I'm really glad you found Directory Opus. These forums would be a fraction as useful without your constant input both in terms of your posts and your plugins. A big thanks for all the time and effort you put in here.

Thanks. :slight_smile: Although, I think it was Opus that found me.

I thought I had escaped when I ditched the Amiga for Windows but then, after a few hellish years using Explorer and rejecting file manager after file manager, Jon contacted me to say "hey, check out this thing I'm working on..." and there vanished any hope I had of having any spare time left in the world. :slight_smile: (Well, once I got over my Counter-Strike addiction, but that's not important right now...)

It does make me wonder what the future holds for dopus when it's just one guy working on this. What happens if Jon decides to retire or move to New Zealand to study kiwi's or something? Would Greg take over the programming? :open_mouth:

It does make me wonder what the future holds for dopus when it's just one guy working on this. What happens if Jon decides to retire or move to New Zealand to study kiwi's or something? Would Greg take over the programming? :open_mouth:[/quote]
If that happened I'd beg and beg and beg for them to let me take over development, then quit my well-paying job to work on Opus full-time, begging people to buy upgrades so that I can eat and afford the odd Xbox game. :slight_smile: (I'd probably already have done that if I didn't have to move to Australia to be part of GPSoft. I haven't come up with a convincing argument to make Jon move to England, either...)

[quote="abr"][quote="TomT"]I'd like to see support for mouse back button, to go back to the previous directory. Vista supports this in explorer.

Please read this:
[How to: Make Logitech Mid/Back/Forward buttons work in Opus)[/quote]

Thanks, that did the trick....

@Moderators Please lock this runaway thread.

@Everyone Please continue to post and share your feature ideas in this forum and discuss them! But try to post unique ideas to individual threads. Putting very closely interrelated ideas in one thread isn't so bad, but a thread like is more like a mini-forum.

Always submit Help & Support requests (or something that you think isn't working correctly) in the Help & Support forum. Do not post the same question to multiple threads, it just makes it harder for folks who might have the answers to keep up with the questions, frustrates them, and makes them less likely to want to help you.

Also, before submitting any Feature idea or Help & Support request, try searching for them using one or two keywords to start with. Be sure Enable the Search for all terms option. You just might find that your topic has already been discussed. This saves everyone time. Maybe you have some new information to add to an old discussion--that's great, revive the topic.