1–3 second delay activating/opening Lister

I have recently been experiencing the above-stated frustration when I either open a new lister window or change to one that is already running (I.E.changing focus to another window) and it is just enough to have begun driving me crazy. I have attempted to do my due diligence by searching online as well as on the forum for similar problems and/or fixes. I have come across other people that it said they have experienced delays that sound similar to mine, but all of the individuals have found a resolution to their problems in ways that either do not pertain to my setup or have been specifically "patched" by the software developers.
It's very weird because I did switch to a new Bluetooth adapter and I thought that that may have been the issue, so I switched back to my old one and after my best attempts to eliminate all traces of the old drivers and traces of the installation the problem still occurs. I have attempted to find buttons that are making the lister search for or populate directories that are not there or overly large and can't find any. I have attempted to clean up my hard drive temporary files so that it can't be accused and poor housekeeping on my part. I really can't think of anything that has changed much in my configuration that would make this begin occurring out of the blue. I also thought that it may have been due to Logitech software so I uninstalled that and I'm not quite certain what to say as far as if it fix the problem or not it's hard to say it was happening at times and that was happening at other times.
I'm sorry if this is a bunch of garbled mess, but I'm out of ideas and would love for someone to say "hey that's a super easy fix! This is all you have to do…" I really don't want to, but I'm damn near to the point where I am going to reinstall windows that it's pissing me off so much LOL.
You guys haven't let me down in any of my bizarre requests in the past and I have faith that the Almighty admins and developers of directory opus can grace me with their wisdom. Thank you everybody!

oh and before someone asks, this issue does not occur with Windows Explorer or any other window that I have found so far yet....aside from directory opus

If you're quick, you might be able to generate some process snapshots while the delay is happening, which we could use to see which code is being run at the time:

It's most likely a toolbar button or script add-in doing something slow (they get updated when the window is activated), or maybe a spun-down HDD, as a guess.

it's not that I don't trust you or whoever else may be looking at these files, I would just like to look at the results and what "personal" information is contained within it before I send it to unknown persons/parties. What software do I used to read the.bmp files before I compress them and send them your way?
And thank you so much yet again for your insanely fast response time

You could try a tool that prints out all the text strings inside a file on it. There isn't really an easier way to see what they contain.

We typically look at the list of DLLs and function calls, and sometimes at the paths being accessed at the time to work out if they're network drives or similar, and then delete the files a few minutes later. As long as you don't post them in public, there shouldn't be anything to worry about, unless you're doing something top secret.

lol thank you for explaining. Whats the best way to send it? its in excess of a GB each file is ~230MB

oh nvm i just compressed it and its only 310MB. But either way, what way is best to send a file of this size?

Any of the ways suggested in the guide I linked should be fine.

sorry didn't read down far enough on that. I hate asking stupid questions

Sent, I appreciate the help and your patience with my thus far

Thanks for sending the snapshots!

Unfortunately, they don't reveal anything conclusive. In each one, all the Opus threads are idle and waiting for user input. If the delay is only 1-3 seconds, my guess is that the snapshots all took place just after the delay had finished. (It's probably quite hard to make them in time while it's still happening.)

There are some things you can do to try and track down the problem via other methods.

See if it's related to your Opus configuration:

• Use Settings > Backup & Restore to make a backup of your current Opus configuration in a safe place.

• Uninstall Opus via the usual Settings > Apps part of Windows. (This will wipe your configuration.)

• Reboot, then reinstall Opus. (You'll now have a completely default config.)

• Use Opus with the default config for a while to see if the problem still occurs.

• Once you're done testing, you can restore your config backup using Settings > Backup & Restore again.

Third party software:

The dumps show these components are loaded into the process. One of them might be causing the problem, so temporarily uninstalling them or excluding dopus.exe from them might be worth a try.

(It's also possible for a third-party component to cause a problem and then get unloaded before the snapshot takes place, so this list may not be complete, but it's a good place to start.)

• Internet Download Manager IDMShellExt64.dll
  • Fences FencesMenu64.dll
  • Windows Defender MpOAV.dll
  • MEGAsync ShellExtX64.dll
  • NaturallySpeaking15 dd10hook_x64.dll, dgniedct_x64.dll, nlutmgrhook_x64.dll, textservice_x64.dll

For IDM and MegaSync, you should be able to use ShellExView 64-bit to disable their shell extensions without having to remove them completely. Reboot afterwards to be sure they aren't already loaded into anything. (This probably won't work for the other components, though.)

For Defender, see Problems caused by Windows Defender (strange behavior when using Opus) for how to exclude dopus.exe from it. Antivirus scanning can cause short delays sometimes.

Sleeping HDDs:

A 1-3 second delay can often be down to an HDD spinning down and then taking time to wake up when asked for icons or folder listings. If you have any physical HDDs (i.e. not SSDs) in the machine, it might be that.

Things like unavailable network drives typically cause much longer delays, so it's probably not that.

1 Like