Always use a single window, after open containing folder

I have set the 3 settings in this post:

but in the following scenario, I still end up with multiple Opus windows open:

1. Open Opus
  2. Find. Viewing results in the find window. (This is a separate window of course. No problem with that.)
  3. In the find results, I select a file, right click and choose "open containing folder"
  4. The containing folder opens in a new Opus window

Is there any way to setup Opus, so that all listers open in the same window, regardless of how they were opened ? I would like the containing folder to open in a new tab within the existing window, instead of a new window.

The main reason I use Opus is to avoid opening multiple windows. It would be really nice to have a single setting to do that. Personally, I think that should be the default.

Go to Settings -> File Types, double-click Collection item near the top and edit the Context Menu tab.

Not sure if there is a similar item there by default, but either edit or create a menu item to Open Containing Item, and set it to run this command (with the Function drop-down set to "Standard Function"):

Go OPENCONTAINER NEWTAB=findexisting

Now, if you output your find results to a collection (not to the output window) then they will appear within the lister and if you right-click any of the files/folders you'll see the menu item you just made which will open the containing folder in a new tab.

(You can also set the find results themselves to open in a new tab.)

I'd recommend using Tools -> Find Panel rather than File -> Find, too. Then everything, including the find window, find results and containing folders, will all be part of a single window.

One way to solve this particular problem, unless you really want the separate Find Window, is to get the find results in a separate tab in the current lister. By default all of the Find command in the File menu, Ctrl-F and F3 are defined to have a Function of Find.

Via Settings -> Customize, you can change the Function of any or all of these to Find COLLNAME "Find Results" SHOWRESULTS tab IN {s}. Then the Find results will be in a Collection titled Find Results in a new tab in the source lister. Now, right clicking one of the items in the results and selecting Open Containing Folder will open the containing folder in the same window. With no further changes, the containing folder will replace the Find Results, which I don't think I'd want.

To avoid this, go to Settings -> File Types ... . In the resulting window, make sure Directory Opus File Types is expanded. Select Collection Item and click Edit. Select the Open Containing Folder item and click Edit. Change go opencontainer to go opencontainer newtab and OK or Close all the open dialogs.

FWIW, you don't need to do any command editing to get the find results to appear in a tab/collection. In the Find panel, where it says "Show results in:", there are two drop-downs which define the collection to send results to and where to show that collection (source, destination, new tab, etc.).

[quote="leo"]

FWIW, you don't need to do any command editing to get the find results to appear in a tab/collection. In the Find panel, where it says "Show results in:", there are two drop-downs which define the collection to send results to and where to show that collection (source, destination, new tab, etc.).[/quote]

I must not understand how to use the second drop-down.

Using a default configuration, I have the first drop-down giving the choices of

[ul]Find Window[/ul][ul]Output Window[/ul][ul]Lister (Collection)[/ul]

If I choose Lister (Collection), the only choice in the second drop-down is Find Results. The only thing I've succeeded in changing there is the name Find Results. Whatever I change it to, I get a collection of the name I've changed to but in a new window. The whole point here was to avoid a new window.

Perhaps there is something else that's eluding me that can be done to the second drop-down.

Oh, I just realized you said "In the Find panel" and that what you say is, of course, true there. My previous post and my initial comments here were based on the Find Window which by default is produced by either F3 or Ctrl-F.

I haven't thought I've been a fan of the Find Panel, mostly, I guess, because I haven't liked the amount of space it takes up in the lister, but I now see that it probably is just as easy to close the Find Panel as the Find Window after the Find Results have been displayed if that's what one wants to do.

Time to start using the Find Panel and see if it really has any drawbacks, I guess.

(I think my previous comments about editing the command for Open Containing Folder are still valid if one doesn't want the containing folder to take over the Find Results tab).

Thanks everybody,

I now have:

• F3 and Ctrl F set to Find COLLNAME "Find Results" SHOWRESULTS tab IN {s}
  • Open Containing Folder, for collection item, set to Go OPENCONTAINER NEWTAB=findexisting
  • In the find window, "Show results in" is set to Lister

and I have all my folders in one window, which is great.

I still think a "keep everything in one window" checkbox would be helpful though !

Pete

What goes into other windows by default that you'd like to change?

If you just mean the Find and Output Windows, I would avoid using either of them in the first place. The Find Panel is better and doesn't open other windows by default.

(The old Find and Output Windows could/should be removed, IMO; they just get in the way of people finding the newer Find Panel.)