Audio and Video Codec data doesnt display in lister movie fo

I have found that from time to time Opus stops displaying the Dimensions, Audio Codec and Video Codec data in their respective colums for the movie content format. I go back to default and redefine columns but this doesnt help.

I have to reinstall Opus and then the data shows up, but some time later, stops displaying again.

Any ideas?

Please take a look at this FAQ:

[Folder Formats: Quick Guide)

In particular my bet is that Content Type detection is sometimes providing the columns you're expecting to see but it isn't always being triggered, probably because there isn't always a high enough percentage of video files in the directory you're viewing.

(It could also be that Content Type detection is switching to a different format because of some other types of files and that format is removing the columns you want. Either way, the FAQ explains all you should need to set things up as you want them.)

Also if the columns are there but the data isn't appearing then this probably ties in with the slow-down problem you're seeing elsewhere: Opus waits until the current file is processed before moving on to the next one (unless you've got the option set to use multiple threads for thumbnail generation/data extraction). If there's a particular file/plugin/codec that is taking a long time or causing a problem then this can have the effect you're seeing. (*)

So my bet is both your problems may have the same root cause.

Incidentally, you should expect not to see dimensions etc. for video files if the movie plugin is disabled (which I think is the case from your other post). If you are seeing them with it disabled then something is wrong.

(* On that note, you don't have a RAW camera images in these folders, do you? My RAW plugin can, for some cameras/configurations, take a long time to generate thumbnails and it doesn't yet handle the abort signal that Opus sends when someone changes directories. This means my plugin can cause all further thumbnail generation to be delayed until it's done. I'll be taking a look at improving this in a couple of weeks when I get some holiday time.)

I reenabled the movie plugin and i still see no duration or codec information. There are only movie files in this directory, no other content, and Opus reads the content type correctly, but does not display the duration or codec info.

I have seen this happen consistantly and am at a loss. If i uninstall and reinstall it works ... for a while. I cant think of anything that i am doing to cause it... just viewing folders.

I will unstall and reinstall today and report back.

GREAT program, i wish the cause of these nagging issues could be resolved.

javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad

Once this problem occurs, does it stop all information being extracted from files? Eg, do you lose mp3 information, or jpeg exif info?

If so, it sounds like the thread that "gets" file information is crashing. I would suggest trying to identify which particular movie file causes it, and from there tracking down which codec is responsible.

It appears that mp3 data is retreived but for ANY video format, the duration, video and audio codec data is not displayed.

I have mainly divx movies, but a number of video formats.

OK, this problem seems to pop up again and again. I have upgraded to 8.2.2.4 and this problem still happens from time to time. I can't predict it nor understand what corrects it... HELP! I am very frustrated. Here are the symptoms:

• All info from MP3's display correctly
  • Vid codec, dimensions, and Audio Codec do not display in lister
  • movie plugin is enabled
  • Codecs ARE installed and Windows recogognizes them in PROPERTIES as does Gspot
  • Opus recognizes AVI and MPG as Video Clips and part of the movie group

I have uninstalled, cleaned, reinstalled both Opus and my Codecs! Any Ideas?

Do you know which video codecs you've installed?

Might be worth a try to install the latest FFDShow then restart Opus and see if the problem comes back. FFDShow decodes most of the AVI formats these days and seems to work well with Opus here.

[quote="nudel"]Do you know which video codecs you've installed?

Might be worth a try to install the latest FFDShow then restart Opus and see if the problem comes back. FFDShow decodes most of the AVI formats these days and seems to work well with Opus here.[/quote]

I installed the K-Lite pack which includes the FFDshow codecs. I might try uninstalling and putting just the bare minimum FFDshow codecs in.

thanks.

[quote="nudel"]Do you know which video codecs you've installed?

Might be worth a try to install the latest FFDShow then restart Opus and see if the problem comes back. FFDShow decodes most of the AVI formats these days and seems to work well with Opus here.[/quote]

Um, wait. If XP Explorer and Gspot recognize the codecs properly, aren't they installed and working properly? Since i have uninstalled and reinstalled the Codecs twice i am wondering... thanks

Ok, I went to Preferences..File types and edited the .avi and .mpg file types (system). There was no Mime information for some reason. I defined the Mime information to Video Clip and Viola... Opus displayed the information. I dont know how or why it was lost, but now Opus and I are happy.

Cool that it's working now. The reason I mentioned codecs was that if a codec crashes or causes problems then it might get disabled.

I don't know about the K-Lite pack in particular but installing as few codecs as possible is always best. FFDShow is all you need for most videos these days (except Quicktime).