Automated Folder Creation and Selection

The Problem

• In any environment where there is a lot of data it is complicated by having multiple people. Each generates their own data and often store this in a manner which is far from consistent with colleagues - or which varies from project to project.
• Most people develop complex folder hierarchies which have order to varying degrees.
• Within an individual corporation however the ideal folder/storage structure does not generally vary that much across the enterprise (especial ones where there are numerous projects)

The Solution

• A not uncommon solution is to generate an empty folder structure which is the mandated for all new projects and which structure is simply copied into a new project folder on the server for example. The issue with this is that you can readily have a vast array of empty folders - which is pretty annoying - particularly for new project entrants and indeed entirely new project teams assuming others data.
• There are more complex methodologies for data management including software solutions (I use commence.com) but there are excellent enterprise solutions which are expensive. With data sets/software which generate a large number of files this approach is far from optimal.
• A solution would be a script Dopus where instead of just adding a folder - you could input an entire folder structure and then select from the mandated items as required.
• This would I believe be enormously useful and resolve the above issue.

I would note Leo's excellent contribution:

but was looking for something a little more complex.

If the script in the video doesn't handle all the complexities you need, please give us details of what they are and we can make suggestions.

Great will do and thanks for the rapid response. This really is a great product.

1 Like