Automatic expading and closing folder tree

Hello, is there an option to set folder tree work like in Windows Explorer when changing drive? I would like to expand the tree of new drive AND close the tree of previous drive.
"Automatically expand selection" does only a half of this job.

Thank you

Houba

check the "lock"icon on the right top of the folder tree...
It's what you're lokking for.

I want to tree automatically expand and collapse when I am browsing through the folders. One click on the folder ---> expand ---> and then when I click on other folder, the three of the previous folder should collapse back automatically and the new one expand... Just like in Explorer...

But anyway thanks

Houba

Maybe I'm confused about exactly what you're asking for, but Explorer on my machine doesn't do what you're describing (or, at least, what I think you're describing). So, the "just like Explorer" thing is confusing me.

And FWIW, I don't think there's a way to do that in DOpus. If you find ou that I'm wrong on that, let me know, because it sounds like a feature that I would be interested in.

--chriscrutch

By default, the Windows XP explorer.exe automatically expands a folder when you click on it inside the folder tree. If you then click on another folder (that is naturally NOT under the folder you previously selected) then the previous folder collapses as the newly selected folder expands...

The Opus option Automatically expand selection in Preferences->Listers->Folder Tree does HALF this job... but there's no way I know of to cause a previously selected folder to auto-collapse when you move on to another folder. I believe GPSoft would have to add a secondary option underneath this one to 'Automatically collapse previous selection'.

Something screwy on my box, then. Explorer only seems to do that for me on specific folders and not with others. I've never before noticed it doing it to ANY folders. Odd. Maybe it's only the default in XP Home? I'm running XP Pro Corporate Edition.

--chriscrutch

In Win Explorer it is called 'Display Simple Folder View...', accesible through the options. It expands the selected folder and collapsses the previous one. If you click the + or - in the tree then it overrides the feature. This maybe why you experience it sometimes not working.

It would be a cool feature for DO.

Automatically collapsing of folder previously selected in Explorer only works if the folders are on the same level ie under the same folder.

If you click on a folder that is on a different level in folder tree than previously selected folder, then previously selected folder will not collapse.

Even so - that is an 'Explorer' feature and not something that can happen in Opus which is what houba was hoping for :frowning:.

I STRONGLY second houba's suggestion.

The "Simple folder view" of Windows Explorer saves so many mouse clicks and keeps the folder tree tidy.

In Dopus, I always end up with a folder tree that is a mess, like six foot high, and has dozens of open sub-trees.

Please Greg,
implementation of that feature is urgently wanted,

David.P

The simple solution is to learn to not use the Tree. Make buttons for folders you use a lot.

I would hazard a guess that those of us who have 15 or more years computer experience don't use the Folder Tree. I started with a Vic 20 oh so many years ago. Then a Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, then my first PC. Used Directory Opus on the Amiga computers. Could not wait for DO to come to the PC. Been using it since Beta stage on the PC. Never did use Windows Exploder for file management. Used a clone of DO 4.12 on the Amiga on the PC till the REAL Opus came out.

[quote="Rex"]The simple solution is to learn to not use the Tree. Make buttons for folders you use a lot.

I would hazard a guess that those of us who have 15 or more years computer experience don't use the Folder Tree. I started with a Vic 20 oh so many years ago. Then a Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, then my first PC. Used Directory Opus on the Amiga computers. Could not wait for DO to come to the PC. Been using it since Beta stage on the PC. Never did use Windows Exploder for file management. Used a clone of DO 4.12 on the Amiga on the PC till the REAL Opus came out.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. My computer history only goes back to the C16 and the C64, but the folder tree is like an "alien" for me, too... oh, those sweet Amiga years.

Nevertheless, the effort needed to implement the requested change seems fairly minor, so if it makes Opus more efficient for some, why not let them have it.

Just my 2 cents' worth for this week :slight_smile:

You were a beta tester at some point rex?

Yes I was. Way back in the dark ages.

[quote="DavidP"]I STRONGLY second houba's suggestion.

The "Simple folder view" of Windows Explorer saves so many mouse clicks and keeps the folder tree tidy.

In Dopus, I always end up with a folder tree that is a mess, like six foot high, and has dozens of open sub-trees.

Please Greg,
implementation of that feature is urgently wanted,

David.P[/quote]

Same here. Lacking thereof is a great shortcoming in DO. Please remember next time when DO is going to be relaunched.

Sandra

I also second request to add feature allowing automatical collapsing of not selected folders. Now I must reopen Dopus window after almost every minute of intensive walking through folders.

Well if automatic closing of tree items is not possible
"Is there a way that we can manually reset the Folder Tree for Unopened Folders to collapse"
Thanks
EDIT: I've tried using "go REFRESH=all" and "go REFRESH=Tree" but the desired effect can't be achieved

You can collapse the active tree with the following command:

Go ROOT=collapse

I have that command bound to the number pad - as a hotkey.

Thats exactly what I wanted
Thanks John

Go ROOT=collapse only collapses the active folder to root and the corresponding tree branch what if I want the opposite that is keep the active folder and folder branch open but collapse inactive branches. Any suggestions.