Backup software for windows 10

Hi,
I've started a topic here:

And I've been recommended by @ rcoleman1943 to start a new topic here if I want to go into more details, so here I am.
Thanks

Maybe that was a silly thing to recommend. Probably makes sense to visit Image for Windows - TeraByte Unlimited, download the 30 day trial and/or ask questions in the terabyte forum at TeraByte Unlimited - Index page .

The download mentioned above is for a suite containing several products and will probably ultimately prove to be the best deal, but another approach would be to download only Image for Linux at Downloads Image for Linux - TeraByte Unlimited .

What might be considered the main product Image for Windows is a windows application and can be safely used to create image backups of disks and/or partitions, even of the windows partition from which Image for Windows is running.

You don't have to be a Linux user or understand anything about Linux to use Image for Linux (IFL). Using the downloaded files, you create a bootable UFD, CD or DVD which you can boot to backup and restore disks and partitions.

Image for Windows is definitely one of my favorites.

Alternatives includes Macrium Reflect from the U.K. and AOMEI Backupper Standard.

Macrium Reflect, in my experiences, is considerably faster than Image for Windows. It also is much easier to use and setup with a simplistic yet modern interface. What in particular shines about Macrium Reflect, also, is restoration. Restoration can be extremely quick. Especially if the image you are restoring is the on the same computer you made an image of in the first place. Restoring could be in minutes. However, it is pricier at $79 USD for one computer. There is a free version of it but that only allows you to do a full image backup while the paid version allows you to do differential backups which helps save space by only writing a new file that contains differences from the previous full backup file.

AOMEI Backupper Standard is also decent and free. It's slower than Image for Windows but has a better user interface. It only does full imaging and they do have a Professional version that has it but I would not recommend it.

Just to throw it out there, another alternative is Drive Snapshot. This thing is OLD (it was first written for Windows 2000) but is still updated to work with modern versions of Windows (most recent version just came out on May 10, 2019!). The GUI sucks though. It's still practically the same GUI since 2000, lol. However, it's 39 Euro and you can use it on as many computers as you want.

Either way, whatever you choose, an in particular Image for Windows, Drive Snapshot, and Macrium has a lot of support if you go to: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forums/backup-imaging-disk-mgmt.97/

These guys on those forums are like crazy into imaging so they can help you out a lot if you get stuck or have any questions. In addition, updates of Drive Snapshot is posted frequently on these forums (Drive Snapshot's website does not really tell you what's the newest version they have for downloading).

Oh. If you're looking for file backups, there is only one that I would really recommended just because of how darn good it is. Bvckup2 from Switzerland. This thing is really fast and have never let me down before. It backup files using deltas (in a sense, it does differential backups of files), has a lot of features yet is very small (the setup file is about 2.3 MB), and the author is very helpful. The author does not really release updates until its ready after a lot of testing but as a result, the software is very, very stable. It's 20 USD for the Personal edition for one computer but with lifetime updates.

If you do decide to get Bvckup2, I would recommend getting it early as the author is changing the editions. Currently, there are two editions, Professional and Personal. Both version have the same exact features except the Professional edition licenses you to be able to use it on servers. The new editions will be Basic, Pro for Workstations, and Pro for Servers. The Basic version will have less features while the Pro for Workstations is basically the Personal and Professional editions right now.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot but there is a free beta version that's also very, very fast and stable but is outdated as it's the beta version right before the very first commercial release of the Bvckup2. However, I used it on all of my friends computers and they never had a problem with it. https://bvckup2.com/get/beta

1 Like

Thanks Enternal for the thoughts. I notice that Macrium Reflect always appears in any discussion of backup software which has me often tempted to try it, but, at this point, I'm so comfortable with Image for Windows and its related products that I decide it's not worth my time and money to experiment with something else.

I did wonder after recommending Image for Windows if the time and effort required to become comfortable with it might be a barrier.

Regarding speed, note that Image for Linux tends to be faster than Image for Windows, I think.

Also thanks for the pointer to Bvckup2. A nice piece of work.

At this point, I would say just stick to Image for Windows as you are already familiar with it. As for new users, I would suggest Macrium Reflect due to its ease of use. However, the other tools that comes with Image for Windows may be very useful for advanced users so there are still very good reasons why you would want Image for Windows. And yeah, the last time I tried it, Image for Linux is indeed faster than Image for Windows for me as well. All in all, both programs are rock solid so either are good choices.

@aussieboykie
Yeah! It really is a nice piece of work. It's one of those few software that I'm willing to buy over and over again :smiley: Just like DOpus here, haha.