Badly rendered icons in 9.1

Hi folks,

Have been using DOpus for some time now with only minor issues. Just recently upgraded to 9.1.0.0 and I'm seeing the following issue with Favorite Menu icons:

They seem to have lost their 'XP-ness', with the drop shadow showing as black. The icons appear correctly if you Edit them.

I'm using XP SP2.

Also, is there a way of copying and pasting support information from DOpus such as its major/minor/build number, platform and so on?

Yes, I noticed this too. More people have the same problem? On Vista it seems to work OK (at least on my Vista machine)

I'll report it as a bug.

Bug reported:
It seems to only be with "non-DOpus" icons. DOpus icons alle have correct Alpha. The Windows icons with Alpha are being "badly rendered"

Have you switched display depth between 32-bit/24-bit/16-bit modes? (e.g. By changing it explicitly in the Display control panel, or by connecting to the machine using Remote Desktop configured to use a different depth.)

That can mess up the alpha channels of icons in Opus (and other programs) but the problem goes away if you exit and restart Opus.

For what it's worth on my XP machine the icons are all fine, unless I change display depths (which is corrected by restarting Opus).

Leo,

ColorDepth on my XP machine is 32bit. It is consistent between sessions. Restarting DOPus doesn't make the problem go away. Rebooting also a no go.

the problem started with the upgrade to 9.1. Before that there wasn't a problem.

Strange that it doesn't affect your XP machine. I'll fool around with display settings, rebuilding icon cache etc.

I've noticed it the moment after the upgrade but never payed any attention to it. It doesn't bother me. But then someone else with te same problem appeared.....plot thickens :smiley:

I too have played around with desktop bit depth but to no avail. It's all fine on my Vista machine, just very noticeably weird-looking on XP.

It doesn't actually affect anything of course, but given how the rest of the program feels so nicely nailed together it's probably something obvious they'd want to fix :slight_smile:

Hard to fix if it can't be reproduced though. I wonder what the cause is? :frowning:

Yeah, I can't reproduce it here either (WinXP/SP2)...

May be here is the same issue:
(Do9.1+WinxpSP2+ColorDepth 32Bit)

Click the pin button, "Pin" ICON looks blurred.
Minimized this window and restore,it is normal.

That's a different issue. Opus can't always do a good job of rendering the pin icon when a non-standard visual style is in use. If it looks really bad you can disable the pins. (They're always disabled on Vista, too.)

Hi all,

I just updated to DOpus 9.1 and now I also have this display issue.
I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 (german).
This is how my favorites menu looks after the upfate to 9.1

Regards,
Martin

Can everyone seeing this problem tell us which graphics drivers (inc. version) you're using?

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9200 V8.01.

I also want to add that those badly rendered icons are also visible in the breadcrumbs path field.

But the icons on the "My Computer" menu are fine their.

Is there any news on this?
Can you reproduce it on your site?

Regards,
Martin

I still can't reproduce it. If you want to know whether GPSoftware can reproduce it you should write to them rather than the forums. (See the link in my signature.)

Thanks Leo, I filed a bugreport with GPSoft.

Regards,
Martin

FWIW: This is the same sort of effect I see on various Opus icon backgrounds when switching back and forth to a machine running Opus over a Remote Desktop connection. After I've finished a remote session to a PC running Opus, when I log back onto that machine locally, any Opus listers already opened at that point have the blacked out icon background on the taskbar footprint, as well as in pieces of the actual lister like the file display borders, etc. Even new lister windows I open from there get the blacked out icon. I think I have to kill and restart either Opus or Explorer or both to set things straight...

Now, I don't know how may other apps I run that might or might not have the equivilant 'quality' level of icons in their display as Opus, but Opus is the only app I'm running where I see this effect. Maybe the issue is in some way related??? If it can be reliably reproduced by others using the RDC back and forth shennaigans, maybe fixing 'that' case of icon rendering funkiness will fix whatever is causing the issue for others in the non-RDC related cases described here?

They're just little bitty icons, and though I know jack-all about alpha transparency blah blah blah, I can't imagine you've got to have oh-so rock-solid video drivers to get Opus to display such things properly, so let's hope it's something that can be fixed on the Opus side easily.

Icons on the taskbar are rendered by Windows so you could argue it isn't Opus's fault if Windows renders some icons incorrectly. I have seen this happen with one or two other apps when swapping between Remote Desktop and local use of a computer; I think it's just that not many apps use 32-bit icons with alpha channels (for smooth shadows/antialiasing) like Opus does so you don't see things go wrong that often.

(You can also see it go wrong in the other direction. If you restart Opus while using Remote Desktop it will load some more simple icons for the taskbar and titlebar and those simple icons continue to be used when you switch back to using the computer locally, until you restart Opus. So at least for the taskbar/titlebar, Opus definitely is loading different icons depending on the display mode.)

IMO the taskbar/titlebar stuff is either a bug or a bad design in Windows. Maybe it is the duty of applications to detect the display mode change and re-load all of their windows' icons and pass them to the OS. IMO apps should be able to pass to the OS and the OS should retarget it to the current display mode as required, but it obviously does not work that way.

However, while all this is related, I don't think the taskbar/window icon issue is the same as the problem with icons in the menus. Opus doesn't render the taskbar or (depending on configuration) the titlebar but Opus does render its own menus. So whatever is going wrong with the menus in the screenshots in this thread is down to Opus and possibly GDI (the basic Windows painting API) and the video driver.

I think the problem with menu icons is also different to what you & I have seen Remote Desktop and the taskbar/title icons since the people in this thread say they haven't used Remote Desktop or anything similar, nor changed screen modes since starting Opus.

Your Wrong About it being a windows problem.

There is definatley a problem in this version of Directory Opus with rendering certain Icons.

Example Picture Link:

I have Noticed it mainly has problembs with hidden or System Files, or Icons that use Transparency.

To me this Is a major Eye sore and Is the Reason I cant continue to use this product, at least untill this issue gets fixed.

I will be switching back to Windows explorer or an explorer alternative such as total commander or xplorer2 etc for the meantime or maybe permanatly unless this issue is resolved.