Opus 9: Blank icons when Megasync is not running

Recently, I saw a thread issue about DOpus 9.
I'm the second one still very satisfied with that old&good version.

But something is going wrong with it and Megasync program.
If Megasync client is running, icons of some files appear fine, showing a little green check mark on it.
But if Megasync client is not running, some files has no icon at all.

Like this image:

When Megasyng is started, I refresh DOpus and all icons show up!

Why I know the problem is DOpus 9?
Because I watched those actions in Windows Explorer and all icons are fine, whether Megasync running or not.

I'm running Windows Seven SP1, 64 bits and DOpus 9.5.6.0 x64.
I guess there are no relation to Windows color depth because it comes when start another program.

What it could be?
I've already reviewed DOpus settings but couldn't find a clue.

When icons are appearing fine, they look like this, with a small green check mark:

Vanishing icons with some shell extensions were tracked down to a combination of bugs in both the shell extensions and Windows itself, where the extensions would ask for an icon to be drawn with some invalid attributes, and Windows would respond by drawing nothing at all.

We added a workaround for that in Opus 11 or 12 (I forget which as it was some months ago), so I would expect the problem to be solved if you update to a current version. You can use a trial version to check that for free. Opus 9 is a decade old now.

Thank you, Leo.
As usual, you're the fastest response among all Internet.
:slight_smile:

Searching for an workaround, I found this, talking about ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers.

Running Autoruns, I got this:

But I'm not an expert and cannot understand how it could be done here.

And yes, I'll take a look at Opus 12 trial version and report back.
Meanwhile, if you could send more 2 cents about ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers, it would be great.

Thx.

Look that at my last image, there is an error:

1aCopyShExtError

Maybe the clue to solve?

Those are just the registered icon overlays. Looks like the "Copy" shell extension left some registered when it was uninstalled from your system, although that is just a guess. I am not very familiar with Copy.

Removing or disabling overlays that you don't use can free up slots for other ones, which may help, as the system only allows for 15 icons and Windows itself uses a lot of the slots.

Whether this will affect the blank icons, I couldn't say. (It could even make the problem happen more often if the issue is something trying to use an overlay that isn't there, and you then disable more of its overlays.) It depends somewhat on why the shell extension is returning invalid icon details, which I could only speculate on as we don't know anything about Megasync or its code. All I can say for sure is that newer versions of Opus have a workaround that will detect certain types of invalid icon data, fixing them before passing it on to the Windows API for drawing the icons.

Excellent!

Once again, thank you very much for your attention and detailed explanations.
For sure, I'll test Opus 12 trial version to see its behaviour with Megasync.
And I'll consider upgrade to it.

Thank you.