Big Google Team Drive make DO "slow"

Hello,

I have "a lot of" data in a Team Drive (+- 200GB) and I notice that DO gets sluggish whenever I enter a folder in that Team Drive.
Personal Google Drive or local folders is very fast, but my Team Drives are getting slower and slower when I move more data to there...

I tired disabling "folder size" column, but it does not help. I noticed that it still calculates the total space because it is seen in the statusbar at the bottom.

Anybody has an idea on how to speed it back up?

I know this issue is "pretty vague", but it gets so slow that I barely can work in it.

Using the Team Drive in Windows Explorer does work as fast as always, so something is doing something in DO...

Hope somebody can help me.

Which columns do you have turned on?

Is there a lot of network activity while this is happening? (Check using Task Manager.)

Name, ext, size, modified

Nothing spectacular on network. On router: WAN is doing 11Kb/s in and 7KB/s out. Wifi on PC is doing nothing. 100KB/s peak

Process Monitor logs and manual dumps from while the slow-down is happening might reveal something.

Testing with the Opus config reset to default may also be worth a try, in case a script or other config detail is involved. If you want to try that, first create a backup of your config (Settings > Backup & Restore), then uninstall Opus (which wipes the config) and then reinstall it and test things out. After you're finished testing, you can restore the config backup via the same menu item to put things back how they were.

All dumps in your mailbox.

Will update after factory reset.

Factory reset does not solve the issue.

Also, when e.g. on the left a folder in Google Drive is open, the right part is also slow when navigating through local disks. Once I move away from my Google Team Drive, everything is fast again.

Once again, note that this only happens with Google Team Drives, my standard Google Drive is fast as always.

I will leave it factory for now, if that can help...

If you set Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Troubleshooting]: no_external_change_notify to True does it make any difference?

(we haven't looked at the logs yet, this was just a random thought I had).

Changed setting, restarted DO. But it does not make a difference.
Going in a Teams folder with DO takes approx. 5 sec, same action in Windows Explorer takes 1 second.

It looks like both archives contain the same thing. (The archive that was meant to contain the dumps only contains a second copy of the first archive containing the proc mon log.)

My mistake.... New one on his way.

Observations and some things to try:

• The drive itself seems to be very slow in general. Small requests are frequently taking 0.5 - 1 second to process, which is a long time even for a network drive. GoogleDriveFS.exe is also doing a lot in parallel when Opus is accessing the drive, and its requests are taking a long time as well.

• GetSizes commands still seem to be running, either automatically or manually. Preventing those will reduce the overheads a bit (or possibly a lot, depending on what's going wrong here). See Calculate Folder Sizes Automatically if you've done something that causes the calculations but aren't sure what.

• Turning off Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Display localized folder names should help a bit.

• Turning on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for... for the drive type should help a bit. (I'm not sure if it will be considered a network drive or a local one. Hopefully network, but the way Google Team Drive works is unusual and it might claim to be a local drive. We've seen other examples where e.g. Google Team Drive says it is a FAT32 drive even though it supports files > 4GB, so it may misrepresent itself.)

• Both Opus and GoogleDriveFS.exe are showing potential signs of antivirus impacting them quite a lot when they write files to the local drive, with CloseFile calls taking a very long time. That could slow things down in itself, but may also be impacting the network drive as well or more (although it's hard to tell for sure if this is happening). (This slowness could also be due to the local drive being under heavy load, but it doesn't look it from the logs.)

1 Like

Leo,

Thanks for the debug.

As said, I am now back on the default install of Opus, which also means GetSizes is not enabled anywhere (disabled by default)
I enabled generic icons for all folders and i disabled show cloud storage status icon. Both of those settings do not improve the issue seen.

I am curious what antivirus you see that is causing potential impact, since I am not using any 3rd party antivirus, only Windows Defender.

I will now revert my Google Team Drives and put everything back local as a test. I will do this folder by folder so to hopefully find what is causing this. (I noticed it for the first time somewhere last week and I copied a lot to my Team Drive last week, so maybe it's just a specific folder.
I do have one folder with 22000 items in it. I will start with that one....

There were definitely GetSizes commands running in the logs. Were they from before the config was reset to default?

Some file display columns can also trigger GetSizes, as well as a couple of different settings in Preferences and Folder Formats/Options.

Windows Defender is one of the worst antivirus in terms of random performance impact (it was a decent option for a while but it's really bad these days), although I cannot say for sure if it's involved here so far.

Dumps were from before the reset to default, so possible you see them in there. But now with the reinstall there should be no more GetSizes and I do not see any performance improvement.

I'll try to disable Windows Defender to check for any difference.

Solved. For now.

Uninstall Google Drive File Stream
Manually cleanup C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Google\DriveFS
Reboot
Install Google Drive File Stream

Works like charm...

It must be something with the caching. It was +10GB before, now it's only 30MB.
I'll keep an eye on it.
It is still strange that Windows Explorer was always working fine and only Opus suffered from it.

1 Like

I am very new to DO, and I have been searching the forums for this problem with Google Drive FS.

I have almost 40TB of data in google drive and when ever I open a folder with lots of data it can take 10 minutes or so for the folder to load.

So far I have done VERY LITTLE troubleshooting and I am mostly just learning some of the functions of DO, which is what led me to run into this problem.

I built a custom key command to color my folders and I was going through some file management when I discovered this problem.

Explorer.exe pulls the files up instantly but DO will churn for long periods of time and that just makes it unusable.

When I have some time I am going to attempt molano's fix above;

Uninstall Google Drive File Stream
Manually cleanup C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Google\DriveFS
Reboot
Install Google Drive File Stream

Right now I am mostly curious if this is such an issue, will it be addressed and fixed in future versions.

I know it can be done because explorer.exe works properly with the large data sets from GDFS.

With more and more reliance on cloud storage this would be a real nail in the coffin for DO usage for me at least. As it stands in order to use it I am relegated to operating in explorer.exe on one screen and only using DO for coloring my folders to keep track of my file maintenance which is a significant limitation for DO.