Calculate Folder Sizes Automatically issues

Hello,

New Opus user here and having some issues with the feature "Calculate Folder Sizes Automatically". Using Windows 7 x64 and the latest Opus 9.5.2.

I went through the FAQ @ [url]Calculate Folder Sizes Automatically] to the letter about this feature but had some issues in the way.

First of all, I set the option Get folder sizes to automatic in Preferences / Folders / Options as suggested by the FAQ. However even with this option ON, some folders the folder sizes do not get calculated (Check pic#1 below). It is if as the folders do not get refreshed when they are chosen. So I make sure that the customized Folder options is applied to all folders (btw even if I do this, I still had to go through all my existing folder tabs manually to have the customization applied :confused: ). Still the folder sizes get calculated on some folders and on others they do not. After couple F5 refresh cycles however the sizes usually get calculated.

Next I add the Total Sub-Folder Count (AKA Folders (total)) column to the lister as suggested in the FAQ and this helps with the folder size calculation. However one problem remains, the "Relative size on disk" column does show up correctly always. This can be fixed by sorting the folder with some other column such as Size for example.

Is this a bug or pure and simple user error? :slight_smile:

Edit is MIA so here comes bit more info.

Pic#2 above naturally demonstrates the problem with relative sizes. The proportions are shown incorrectly. In addition to earlier post I have made sure that in Preferences / Settings / Folders / Options "Calculate folder sizes automatically for" is enabled and set for fixed local disks only. I have tried other settings for this option but they make no difference.

What is odd to me is that both of these options (calculate folder sizes and relative sizes on disks) work for some folders straight on, but some need either F5 refreshing to show the calculated folder sizes or I need to sort by some other column than Filename to show the proper proportions for relative file size on disk.

I have not noticed a real pattern in here, C: drive seems to show up wrongly most of the time but there is no real rule as other drive roots and folders exhibit the same odd behaviour as often as C: .

Below one more picture with some really bizarre effect, I sometimes get this when refreshing the view multiple times. Notice that I took the folder (total) column away in between the testing. I still have the calculate sizes automatically set for fixed drives, but the folders are not calculated and Relative Size on Disk is way off. Hope these help.

It's difficult to spot if there's any pattern to what's happening when you've blurred out all the folder names.

If it's easy to reproduce, could you reproduce it in a folder that isn't full of whatever private/top-secret/illegal/whatever stuff you're trying to hide, so that we can more easily see what's happening?

PS: There's a FAQ on why editing is disabled.

Hi Leo,

Sorry about the blurs, old habits die hard :stuck_out_tongue:

I have reproduced the problem on my C: drive root, please see the picture below. I have a very fresh Win7 installation and have not messed around with any NTFS rights etc.

We can see the trend here. Without Folders (total) column the folder sizes do not always get calculated, this seems random. The Relative Size on Disk is however pretty much every time messed up. Tapping F5 sometimes gets the relative sizes proportions correct, but most of the time they are off.

ps. Thanks for the tip about the FAQ, I assume the forum detected the url, but correct me if I am wrong. Will remember this next time.

Thanks, I think I can reproduce some of that now at least.

I'll look at it more and report it to GPSoftware when I get a chance, if you've not reported it already.

I will drop GPSoftware a Technical Support Request about this issue. Thanks for looking into this one, hopefully they can fix this quick :slight_smile: