Cannot get Explorer Replacement to work with Calibre

Dopus won't replace Explorer when trying to locate files on my computer from other programs.

Using Dopus to find and open files was why I got it. I use Calibre to manage my extensive book collection and other than opening the container files, I cannot get Dopus to activate when trying to add books or folders to Calibre.

Also, when I am in other programs (Word, Excel) and want to open files from there, Explorer is still activated.

Finally, Explorer still is used to browse folders and files from the internet.

I know that there are settings for Dopus for specific file functions, but I never figured out how to set them up. Also, no matter how I set the Explorer replacement (system files, all folders, all but the following- no folders chosen to exclude) there is no difference between them.

Any help in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sounds like account limitation to me. You might have to activate the admin mode before you try this, but I think DOpus somehow elevates it by itself upon changing these options. It would be interesting what Leo and/or Jon would say about it. :slight_smile:

Opus won't replace the File > Open or File > Save dialogs in other programs. Unfortunately, Windows does not provide a good way to do so. (Many have tried, but usually given up after a lot of compatibility problems with other software.)

The Explorer Replacement aspect of Opus means that if another program launches a folder, Opus will be the program that opens rather than File Explorer. But it doesn't affect the dialogs for choosing files and folders within other programs.

There are some tools which can help you use Opus and those dialogs better together. For example, they can give you a menu to quickly jump to any folder currently open in an Opus window/tab, or to your Opus favorites.

In no specific order...

Listary is one:

Quick Access Popup / Folders Popup is another:

There may be one or two others; I'm going by the ones posted here at the forum as they're easy to find.

I have no clue what this means. I totally suck when it comes to figuring this out. However, I do know that in the very beginning when I first started using Opus, before a computer wipe, I could use it to open up files in Calibre.

However now it won't. Let me try and see if being an Administrator helps. I run Calibre as an Admin. BTW, I am a new user to this forum, so I only get three replies per topic.

Nope, still opens in Explorer.

Also, it's not a file open or save (in the Case of Calibre), but a search and add.

Add files to Calibre,

Add Folders to Calibre (no subfolders)

Add Folders and Subfolders in Calibre

Add Zips or Rars

The open folder containing, and open file location is ok, but the add books function won't activate Opus.

Can you post a screenshot of Calibre showing exactly what you mean by "still opens in Explorer" ?

My computer won't do screenshots, so I use "Screenshot Capture", but when I try to show the action bubble saying to add books, it clears out when I go to catch the shot.

I attached a pic of my Calibre library.

In the upper right hand corner there is an icon "add books". That icon opens to the dialog that I described above (add file, folder, etc.)

When I select to "add file" instead of Calibre opening up to show all the different folders on my computer that hold files, Explorer does.

However, there is a function in Calibre that asks to "open containing folder" and that will open in Opus. I saw this specific function when I was setting file and folder preferences.

So what I did was probably not the right thing, which was to add "dopus.exe" when explore, search and find was activated.

I'm not sure how to associate the folders that hold my book files in Calibre as a "collection", but that is what they are. They are simply folders and sub-folders that contain books, and opf files (sometimes the also contain the jpeg cover) but it breaks down from Library -Author-books-bookfiles
then the whole library has a .db file and a JSON that makes up library.

What is it that you need to see? The Explorer screen that popus up when Calibre activates that?

I can do that.

Does it make a difference that the files in the folders are listed as archived?.... I usually keep the attributes muted, but I noticed when the Lister when to factory default (which it does quite often) that the attributes are "a"

Maybe that's why the go open container in the Calibre program opens up in Opus.

Thanks for the screenshots, it just clarified what it was you were talking about.

As Leo said, this "aspect" of Explorer is not what Opus replaces.

Opus replaces the Explorer folder browser - what you get if you press Windows+E or click the Explorer icon on the task bar.

It doesn't replace the file selector - the dialog that lets you open or save a file, or choose a particular folder. It never has replaced those.