GP SoftwareTwitter
Opus FAQsManualCommandsObjects

Chrome reports: Directory Opus -> This application could prevent Chrome from working properly

Hi.

When starting Chrome, I get this message on a seperate tab on Chrome.
chrome://settings/incompatibleApplications (This is the URL)

This application could prevent Chrome from working properly.

I don't want to remove Dopus, as I use it a lot.

The Chrome version is:
Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Dopus version:
Directory Opus Pro 12.9 Build 6724 x64
OS 10.0 (B:17134 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

Seems like something new Chrome is doing. Opus is not the only app "affected" like this:

No idea what it means.

I know this isn't much help, but there may be something else besides Opus and Chrome involved. I normally use Firefox, but I just started Chrome and I don't get any such message.

Checking the Chrome version, I'm also on Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit), same as the root post.

Chrome has not displayed anything automatically, but if I manually go to chrome://settings/incompatibleApplications it lists both Opus and ESET Security, but I have had zero problems with Chrome and don't know why it would think Opus was a problem, or why Opus would interact with Chrome in any real way (other than when launching folders, if Explorer Replacement is enabled).

I suspect this feature of Chrome may be prone to false positives or a dubious detection method of what causes incompatibilities, as it seems to be detecting a lot of antivirus products with people saying they aren't actually causing any problems. Adding to the example Jon posted above, here are three more in one post:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/pTxH3Yu7XVc/cMMSIjHQAQAJ;context-place=forum/chrome

And yet another one:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/AZ0zGehMAYU/EQctHuHtCgAJ;context-place=forum/chrome

I'd say Chrome is probably malfunctioning at the moment. It seems to have started with a recent build.

Looking into this some more, I know one person who also has DisplayFusion in their list, and found this thread with some more examples including TortoiseGit and TortoiseSVN:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/pTxH3Yu7XVc

It seems like Chrome is simply listing just about anything that might cause a DLL to be loaded into the Chrome process, which is going to result in a lot of false positives. Lots of things do that as it's a normal part of the Windows API for it to happen for certain types of functionality.

Sure enough, if I make Chrome open a File > Open dialog (e.g. menu icon > More Tools > Save Page As...) and then do something which causes the TortoiseSVN overlays to be loaded for a folder (which loads a Tortoise DLL into the process to supply the icons), Chrome starts listing TortoiseSVN in the list of incompatible applications, despite no problems being caused and it not being detected as a problem a moment earlier.

I think Chrome has just lots its mind temporarily with this update / detection method. Hopefully Google have enough reports in their forum and are looking at why it's listing so many different things without reason and will fix it soon.

Suddenly the list of "incompatible applications" increased a whole lot.

Now 7 applications could prevent the correct working of Chrome.......