Chrome reports: Directory Opus -> This application could prevent Chrome from working properly

Hi.

When starting Chrome, I get this message on a seperate tab on Chrome.
chrome://settings/incompatibleApplications (This is the URL)

This application could prevent Chrome from working properly.

I don't want to remove Dopus, as I use it a lot.

The Chrome version is:
Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Dopus version:
Directory Opus Pro 12.9 Build 6724 x64
OS 10.0 (B:17134 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

Seems like something new Chrome is doing. Opus is not the only app "affected" like this:

No idea what it means.

I know this isn't much help, but there may be something else besides Opus and Chrome involved. I normally use Firefox, but I just started Chrome and I don't get any such message.

Checking the Chrome version, I'm also on Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit), same as the root post.

Chrome has not displayed anything automatically, but if I manually go to chrome://settings/incompatibleApplications it lists both Opus and ESET Security, but I have had zero problems with Chrome and don't know why it would think Opus was a problem, or why Opus would interact with Chrome in any real way (other than when launching folders, if Explorer Replacement is enabled).

I suspect this feature of Chrome may be prone to false positives or a dubious detection method of what causes incompatibilities, as it seems to be detecting a lot of antivirus products with people saying they aren't actually causing any problems. Adding to the example Jon posted above, here are three more in one post:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/pTxH3Yu7XVc/cMMSIjHQAQAJ;context-place=forum/chrome

And yet another one:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/AZ0zGehMAYU/EQctHuHtCgAJ;context-place=forum/chrome

I'd say Chrome is probably malfunctioning at the moment. It seems to have started with a recent build.

Looking into this some more, I know one person who also has DisplayFusion in their list, and found this thread with some more examples including TortoiseGit and TortoiseSVN:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/pTxH3Yu7XVc

It seems like Chrome is simply listing just about anything that might cause a DLL to be loaded into the Chrome process, which is going to result in a lot of false positives. Lots of things do that as it's a normal part of the Windows API for it to happen for certain types of functionality.

Sure enough, if I make Chrome open a File > Open dialog (e.g. menu icon > More Tools > Save Page As...) and then do something which causes the TortoiseSVN overlays to be loaded for a folder (which loads a Tortoise DLL into the process to supply the icons), Chrome starts listing TortoiseSVN in the list of incompatible applications, despite no problems being caused and it not being detected as a problem a moment earlier.

I think Chrome has just lots its mind temporarily with this update / detection method. Hopefully Google have enough reports in their forum and are looking at why it's listing so many different things without reason and will fix it soon.

Suddenly the list of "incompatible applications" increased a whole lot.

Now 7 applications could prevent the correct working of Chrome.......

August and Chrome still seems to be doing the same thing, so these changes must be intentional stupidity on Google's part and not just an accident.

The list (after right-clicking some things in a File>Open dialog) is still complete nonsense, indiscriminately listing every program that has a shell extension that happened to be invoked in a completely normal way when using the standard file dialog. Google really have lost their minds here.

It sounds like they are going to block 3rd party DLLs being loaded into Chrome at some point, which may remove all the false positives, but will also break shell extensions (not a huge deal if it's jut the File Open/Save dialogs) as well as some or all aspects of Explorer Replacement within Chrome (that will be annoying when opening the downloads folder, but not much else).

Not much we can do about that if it's how Google want to go, and I can see why they might want to isolate the browser from 3rd party code. (Although, really, if something malicious is running code on the desktop under your account, it's game over one way or another, if it wants to attack the browser.)

If they want to block shell extensions being loaded, that's their choice, but their assertion that the programs they list, purely by virtue of having DLLs loaded into another process (which is very normal on Windows) are causing problems and need to be removed... that is complete and utter nonsense.

Google/Chrome are actually listing vendors/software that is partnered with them, to add to the insanity:

https://www.eset.com/us/google-chrome/

Found this from a Chrome developer in Stardock's Start10 forum (Start10 is also listed, due to the normal way it works):

Chrome dev here. This is related to a new feature that aims to prevent third party software from injecting into Chrome's processes and interfering with its code. This type of software injection is rampant on the Windows platform, and causes significant stability issues (crashes). The Microsoft Edge browser already does this kind of blocking, and we are in the process of making Chrome behave similarly. What you are seeing is the warning phase of year-long effort to enable blocking, originally announced in November 2017.

Since it is effectively impossible for Chrome to automatically determine whether any particular piece of software is innocently injecting or purposefully injecting and interfering with Chrome code. To keep things simple we warn about all injected software, without making value judgments. Note that soon we will actually start blocking software from injecting, at which point this warning will cease to show. Note that you should only be seeing these crashes if you manually navigate to the chrome://settings/incompatibleApplications page, or on a startup after the Chrome browser has crashed.

Additionally, this feature is currently considered experimental so not all users will see these warnings.

That confirms what we had pieced together before.

I wish Google had worded this better, as they imply there is an actual problem, and that software must be removed (or updated, but to change what!? they don't say, or contact anyone involved to inform them what they need to change in an update). They are detecting all kinds of things that don't cause problems because they have no better way to detect the things that do, and they should be telling the user that, not making other software look bad and users panic and start uninstalling things.

Google cite Microsoft Edge as blocking DLLs, but (as much as Edge is not that great to use) Microsoft have done things properly. Things like the File Save dialog in Edge are shown via a separate process which allows shell extensions to load, while the browser processes do not. That makes sense. What Chrome is doing does not.

I got this warning a long time ago with Chrome Beta but it's not showing Directory Opus as a conflicting program for me anymore.screenshot
Directory Opus is running.

I'm using Chrome 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit). It does list DOpus, my Bluetooth Software and Listary in incompatible applications, but I've never had a single warning from Chrome about it. I didn't know about this issue at all until it appeared in DOpus News and Updates.

I've never had the message appear automatically either. Some people have but it isn't clear why.

Possibly different versions of Chrome (it seems that Google roll out changes to people in waves).

Or maybe if Chrome crashes it shows the warning, even if it doesn't know that any of the things it is warning about were really involved in the crash.

Guess that's what happens when you give a single company/software that much power. They start dictating what you can/must do on your own PC.

Web browser checking system for "proper" software? Really? If I were a Chrome user, I'd uninstall and never use it again.

2 Likes

I have gotten the same message as the OP. However, Chrome actually crashed, and displayed the message when I restarted it. The crash occurred upon downloading a file. I am using Dopus as Explorer replacement. I've also noticed that a few times, Dopus would freeze for about 15-20 seconds, when saving a download.
I am running Dopus v12.10 x64, Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit), Windows 10 v1803

That is almost certainly due to your antivirus scanning the file when Opus tries to access it (e.g. to extract the icon or other details).

The message from Chrome is a false positive and completely bogus. Chrome doesn't detect components that actually cause problems; it detects components that load DLLs into other software (which is a huge number of things, as it's very normal on Windows and the proper way to do lots of different things).

I suppose that's possible, but I've never seen it happen with other browsers. I have been using Windows Defender for quite some time, so nothing has changed there, either. And the vast majority of the time, there is no trouble at all.
I do agree with AmigaOpus. I'll dump Chrome in a heartbeat if they cause too much trouble.

Given the recent revelations about Google not disclosing a Google+ bug that exposed user's private data, I won't be using Chrome for anything sensitive anymore. They have lost my trust. I might dump it altogether, since I have no idea how much access it has to my system.