Clear filter when changing folders

I want this to only show files/folders that start with the letter a for example. That command above does not work.

Use A* instead of ~(A*)

That works for folders but not files.

Is there a way to show both files and folders that start with the letter a and hide the rest?

It should do both by default.

Is it hiding files you want to see, or showing files you don't want to see?

Which icons are on in the Filter Bar when it appears?

It's showing files I don't want to see. I have all of the Filter bar icons on.

It should look like this:

Using

@toggle Set QUICKFILTER D*

Turn off Preferences / File Displays / Filter Bar / Partial matching.

Oh, sweet works now!

thanks!!!

My toolbar only works with partial matching turned off. Unfortunately, now I can't use the quick filter for anything besides my toolbar. I don't think very many users have partial matching turned off.

I need a new button modifier that allows me to turn off a toggle button on directory change. That way I can use my old command and keep partial matching enabled.

@toggle
@toggleOFFdirectorychange  
Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS ~(A*)
Set HIDEFILTERFILENAME ~(A*) 

Thanks!

You can still use the filter bar with partial matching turned off, you just need to type the * at the end.

I don't want to have partial matching turned off though. I need it.

Just to be clear I have tried the command

@toggle
Set QUICKFILTER D*

with partial matching turned off. That does work for my toolbar... However, it's not very practical because you cannot use the quick filter for anything else. It completely destroys the point of even having a quick filter command for me.

If you don't like having to type the * at the end that's fine, but it's not true that you cannot use the quick filter for anything else - you can, you just have to type the *.

I'd rather not type * at the end of each quick filter search. I need to keep partial matching enabled. Hopefully you can create some other way :stuck_out_tongue:

I still don't really understand the purpose of the toolbar behind all this. If you want to quickly see files starting with, say, X, just push the X key and you'll jump to them instantly. What's the need to filter all the other files out all the time or do it via toolbar rather than keyboard?

I'm not sure what we can do anyway, unless you're proposing we add another type of filter on top of all the others, which I think would be more confusing than useful. (It's hard enough to understand as it is with all the different types of filters we have.)

(The old filters you were using before are tied to folder formats so I don't think we can change their behaviour when you change folders without it having some unwanted effects.)

Jon & I chatted about this and had an idea. The quickfilter / Filter Bar could automatically disable partial matching if the wildcard starts or ends with a *. Then you can leave partial matching on in general, but it'll automatically assume you don't want it in those cases (and there's no reason to put a * at the start or end if you're intending to use partial matching, so that should be okay).

Would that make sense?

Oh, that makes sense now.

That would work, I don't see any issue having it that way.

If I'm using my android tablet to remote desktop, I can't really press a hot key without taking up 70% of the screen. Mouse movements make this work far more efficient for just that purpose. Sometimes I don't want to use a keyboard because I have my feet on the table. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair enough, that makes sense.

So, I've implemented the idea we had, where partial matching is automatically disabled if the wildcard starts and/or ends with a *, and that seems to work well.

Once the next update is out you'll be able to use patterns like A* while leaving partial matching turned on.