Create Folder while copy/move?

mrwul... I wasn't complaining or anything, I just found it funny that you posted a message asking if the feature would be better off built directly into Opus immediately after another post that announced "it's been built into Opus" - LOL.

Anyhow, I'd be more than happy to go over cleaning out your old buttons that aren't working for you, as well as to convert your .cmd file method with the built-in Opus feature for the copy/create folder maneuver... You can also check out Leo's and Gus's opus tutorials where they instruct on editing toolbars and such things if you want a good start on re-learning how to configure these things.

But for now, just let us know... how do you perform the Copy and create folder maneuver? Never mind the script for now... what do you do inside of Opus? Do you use a button, hotkey, or drag and drop maneuver? One benefit of using the recent built-in Opus method over the .cmd file script method we got from JohnZ is that a single <Ctrl+Z> keystroke will undo ALL of the files copied/moved... whereas the script file method will only undo one item at a time because each item (if multiple were selected) is being processed one at a time by the 'shift-ing' being done in the cmd script. Let's update your copy method first, then clean out the non-working buttons... but before you do ANYthing, just go to the Import and Export feature I mentioned above and save your current configuration to a file. If anythign get's whacked by mistake - it'll be a snap to put it back before continuing on...

[quote="steje"]mrwul... I wasn't complaining or anything, I just found it funny that you posted a message asking if the feature would be better off built directly into Opus immediately after another post that announced "it's been built into Opus" - LOL.

Anyhow, I'd be more than happy to go over cleaning out your old buttons that aren't working for you, as well as to convert your .cmd file method with the built-in Opus feature for the copy/create folder maneuver... You can also check out Leo's and Gus's opus tutorials where they instruct on editing toolbars and such things if you want a good start on re-learning how to configure these things.

But for now, just let us know... how do you perform the Copy and create folder maneuver? Never mind the script for now... what do you do inside of Opus? Do you use a button, hotkey, or drag and drop maneuver? One benefit of using the recent built-in Opus method over the .cmd file script method we got from JohnZ is that a single <Ctrl+Z> keystroke will undo ALL of the files copied/moved... whereas the script file method will only undo one item at a time because each item (if multiple were selected) is being processed one at a time by the 'shift-ing' being done in the cmd script. Let's update your copy method first, then clean out the non-working buttons... but before you do ANYthing, just go to the Import and Export feature I mentioned above and save your current configuration to a file. If anythign get's whacked by mistake - it'll be a snap to put it back before continuing on...[/quote]

Hello Steje - thank you so much for the feedback and sorry for the delay. I have freshly installed WinXP so it would run smoothly again.

Obviously Opus needed to be freshly installed. Have decided not to import a previous settings-file, as that would mean the 'faulty' toolbar again.

Anyway, I had to study the thread again to get the move/copy cmd thing working...

I am using the drag and drop way of copying moving files. To me it is really magnificant. You may select a few files and drag to a newly created folder.

To be frank, before I got the script-thing working again (so with a new 8.2 installed, which shd include the create folder option) I tried to the same.
I noticed something with 'Create folder' - I think it prompted me to provide a folder name, but i think it misses to provide the full path (?)
Maybe I am just using this new option the wrong way... So I quickly tried to the scripts working.
To increase the window-box size I added some spaces behind copy items to ... see below.

"{dlgstring|Specify new folder-name to COPY items to... extra spaces here |{d}}" {F}

I am not sure whether I would prefer anything else that this script-solution... :wink:

Ctrl-Z: it says "Undo" in the drop down menu, but when I ctrl-z a file or folder it gets me a warning window saying:
"Really send the file (name) to the Recycle Bin ?"

brgds

Hi mrwul... no problem, though I think you're making it a little hard on yourself :slight_smile:.

The command I posted back in October will do exactly what your script method is doing - without need for modification - without a doubt :slight_smile:. I've included below... with just the spaces added for padding like how you wanted.

dopusrt /cmd Copy TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to COPY items to...           {d}}"

The {F} you were adding to the end of your example was only required when using the old script method, and is likely what messed up showing the full path info when you tried it that way.

[quote="mrwul"]when I ctrl-z a file or folder it gets me a warning window saying:
"Really send the file (name) to the Recycle Bin[/quote]
This is totally normal when doing any sort of Copy operation... 'Undoing' a copy means 'delete' the copied items :slight_smile:.

You really should not have been afraid to import your settings. Removing unwanted buttons takes a few seconds, and it's something you should get familiar with - just ask if you want help.

[quote="mrwul"]I am not sure whether I would prefer anything else that this script-solution...[/quote]LOL...

[quote="steje"]Hi mrwul... no problem, though I think you're making it a little hard on yourself :slight_smile:.

The command I posted back in October will do exactly what your script method is doing - without need for modification - without a doubt :slight_smile:. I've included below... with just the spaces added for padding like how you wanted.

dopusrt /cmd Copy TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to COPY items to...           {d}}"

The {F} you were adding to the end of your example was only required when using the old script method, and is likely what messed up showing the full path info when you tried it that way.

Great!
This is even better, cause I cannot accidentally delete the path, which cud .. happen in the previous version.

[quote="mrwul"]when I ctrl-z a file or folder it gets me a warning window saying:
"Really send the file (name) to the Recycle Bin[/quote][/quote]
This is totally normal when doing any sort of Copy operation... 'Undoing' a copy means 'delete' the copied items :slight_smile:.

Well, I gave it a try again just now. Moved file to a new directory.
Hit ctrl-z and the action was undone, i.e. i was back in the 'before-move'
situation. however.. this time there was no pop-up window telling me
that files wud be sent to the recycle bin (which from my point of view means delete and I wud need to restore them from the recycle bin...)
Now - this pop-up warning is confusing: same window as if i were to hit the del-key.
this pop-window did not appear this time.
peculiar...

Steje - thanks for yr patience and support.

one last thing - admittedly i am misusing the opportunity - i have not looked at the solution in the forum yet - but eh ... is there a simple way to just add "Create Folder" to the RMB-options. I have it on the toolbar, but like to have it under the rmb.

thks again

If you MOVE files then an undo will move them back.

If you COPY files then an undo will delete the copies.

np mrwul...

For the RMB CreateFolder option it depends. Do you want it when you click RMB on empty white space inside of the current folders file display, or when you right click on a folder icon shown in the file display? Personally, I have a hotkey bound to that creates a folder but, to each his own...

[quote="steje"]np mrwul...

For the RMB CreateFolder option it depends. Do you want it when you click RMB on empty white space inside of the current folders file display, or when you right click on a folder icon shown in the file display? Personally, I have a hotkey bound to that creates a folder but, to each his own...[/quote]

Hi Steje, the last option, i.e. when I have clicked on folder and wish to create a (sub)folder there, e.g. for the purpose of moving/copying files from the first folder to the new one.
I admit, it is small issue only. But in fact i wud have expected this option under the rmb. Delete/Rename/Copy exist, then why not "create". :wink:

tks

Settings->File Types->All folders->Context Menu

• Click the New button to create a new context menu command for folders
  • in the Edit new action... dialog that appears type New Folder into the 'action' field
  • select Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer) from the' type:' drop down field
  • in the function edit window that appears at the bottom paste this:

CreateFolder READAUTO=no

though isn't...

...what this whole create folder while copying/moving files thread was for :slight_smile:?

[quote="steje"]Settings->File Types->All folders->Context Menu

• Click the New button to create a new context menu command for folders
  • in the Edit new action... dialog that appears type New Folder into the 'action' field
  • select Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer) from the' type:' drop down field
  • in the function edit window that appears at the bottom paste this:

CreateFolder READAUTO=no

Wonderful....!!

Many thanks.

though isn't...

...what this whole create folder while copying/moving files thread was for :slight_smile:?[/quote]

Well, yes/no.

At times one may wish to first create a set of folders and then
do a find-action (or whatever) and copy/move files to specific folders.

Just an example: they other day I created a list of folders naming them
after a year, so 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, etc. and copy files containing
these years into the predefined directories.
The copy/move - create folder - trick, it does not work in the find/lister mode.

Anyway, it is just handy to be able to create a folder name, not necessarily needing
to copy/move files into that folder rightaway. :wink:

Thanks for the help Steje!

brgds

anytime :slight_smile:

Hi Steje, I hate to bother you again... but I found out something peculiar, that I
cud reproduce anytime.

Say you have file xyz in whatever folder on partition D.
You want to move that to new to be created folder on partition E.
You rmb-drag that to the folder on E: (the folder is blue, i.e. the
pointer is definitely there), this 'Move' window pops up, it says:
E:\folder\folder
[ empty box where you fill in the new foldername ]
drop it there...

what happens is that a new folder is created as a subfolder
under the folder where the file came from.

so:
D:\folder\folder\filename.ext

want to move filename.ext to:
E:\folder\folder[newfolder] (path shows up in the popup window)

but the new folder is created as a subfolder on d:
D:\folder\folder[newfolder]\filename.ext

weird eh...

it's a bit difficult to explain, but i hope you understand the problem?

This move-copy trick only works within the same partition?

brgds

Only with the same partitions? Nope...

It sounds like you're using {s} in the drop command instead of {d}. Just so you know, I use 4 Copy CreateFolder commands:

2 on the RMB drop menu:
Copy to new folder
dopusrt /cmd Copy TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to COPY items to...|{d}}"

Move to new folder
dopusrt /cmd Copy MOVE TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to MOVE items to...|{d}}"

The difference between the two is naturally that one copies, the other moves... but they both use {d} which means create the folder in the destination folder (drop target = destination).

I also use 2 other commands bound to the following hotkeys:
<Ctrl + Insert>
Copy to new folder
dopusrt /cmd Copy TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to COPY items to...|{s}}"

<Alt + Insert>
Move to new folder
dopusrt /cmd Copy MOVE TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to MOVE items to...|{s}}"

These also do Copy or Move, with the difference from the commands above being the use of {s} instead of {d}. This is for when I am working just with the keyboard and want to copy or move files to a new folder inside the current/source folder.

Hi Steje
With me the RMB Create Folder to MOVE files to is attached to:
dopusrt /cmd Copy Move TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to MOVE items to... {d}}"

so {d}, it cannot be wrong or anything else, cause i copy-pasted your instructions. :wink: For me it's all abacadabra...

The peculiar thing is that in the pop-up window definitely shows the correct
path where i want the folder to be created, i.e. on E:, but it is simply
not created there. Maybe it is a limitation of Windows ...

brgds

Oh... I'm sorry, it looks like I misread your earlier post. I understand now what you mean, but this latest post you've made explains why you're having the problem - LOL.

You seem to have actually NOT directly copied from the command examples I've written in this topic (I went back and double-checked to see if I made a mistake :slight_smile:), but rather entered it in manually and by accident forgot the PIPE symbol ( | )at the end of the dlgstring data just before the {d} symbol. This is causing the {d} NOT to be evaluated as part of the location to create the folder and copy the files to, but rather just inserting the destination folder info into the dialogs 'message text'. The command is then simply using the Copy Move TO HERE elements to determine where to create and copy - which on their own will indeed operate on the source folder.

What you've got:

What you should get (with proper PIPE symbol):

Hope this helps... and finally gets you fully up and running. I know it seems not to have turned out as 'quick and easy' as it should have been... but I guess the devil is in the details :slight_smile:.

... abracadbra ...

Steje - sorry for the delay.
You are -as always- right! :wink:

There was no '|' symbol.
I changed the cmd and got back what you illustrated in the 2nd printscreen.
It is okay now.

I only raised the issue that in case of a sub-sub-subfolder path, the without
piping cmd wud show the the full path and a box that is wide enough, i.e. the
box autosizes with the length of the path and also it would prevent user to
accidentally backspace-delete parts of the path.

Well, anyway, matter is now solved.

Once again, thank you for your ever continued patience/support... :wink:

brgds

Cool... glad you're working ok now.

And regarding:

Use the {d} control code on BOTH sides of the PIPE like so:

dopusrt /cmd Copy MOVE TO HERE CREATEFOLDER "{dlgstring|Specify folder-name to MOVE items to...{d}|{d}}"

Really great!
That's it ...
think - exactly this way shd be coded into DO .. :wink:
maybe one day it will

anyway, many thanks indeed Steje!

great job.

brgds

LOL...

Think - exactly this way it HAS been coded into DO .. :laughing:

You're a funny character mrwul...

I've tried the various buttons presented in this thread but I wasn't able to find a method to create a new folder in the current lister with the contents of the clipboard.

The buttons listed in this thread have a folder tree pop up and you then select the folder you would like to copy or move to. However, what I'm thinking of is a button that does the following:

I copy some files from my D:\ drive - they are now the current clipboard contents.

I then navigate to my external drive E:\ (using the DOpus lister), press a button, and I'm prompted to create a folder which will have all the files that I previously copied in D:\ placed inside (either copied or moved).

I've looked throughout the forms but haven't been able to find a button that can do this. Is it possible to create?

I decided to take a stab at making a button that will prompt you to create a new folder, and then paste the clipboard contents into the new folder. So for example, I copy some files in C:\ and then go over to D:\ (setting it as the source), press the button and then be prompted to create a new folder in which the clipboard contents will be pasted. After reading the manual and browsing the forums, this is the best I came up with:

@runonce:@set dirname={dlgstringS|Enter Folder Name|} @set clipcontent={clip} CREATEFOLDER="{$dirname}" READAUTO Copy MOVE="{$clipcontent}" TO="{$dirname}"

The problem is this button doesn't work. It does prompt to create a folder, but once I type in the name and press OK, I get an error saying that Windows cannot find the folder specified. I've tried many different variations, adding code, taking it away, but still no luck. I'm by no means experienced with coding, so perhaps I've made some obvious mistakes in my code that I'm not aware of. Any suggestions?