Custom File Sort Order for paperless office

Hey, it's not a "custom feature" -- it is the "custom sort" feature.

What's more, over the years I'm proud having suggested half a dozen other (key) features that fortunately have made their way into Dopus. If we simply continue this way, Dopus easily will be able to stay on top* -- as easy as that :sunglasses:

*Btw, I don't remember having seen a killer feature on ANY file manager for many years now -- so I think it really is about time.............................

It's custom as in custom-made for you, as (more or less) only you care so strongly about it.

Nah........ Some features simply are so far out of sight and imagination that people only know that this was exactly what they always missed AFTER they are presented with the respective feature.

Believe me, custom sort WILL turn out to be one of this kind of features.

Custom sort simply is the re-creation of the paper ring binder, digitally. You can't do proper work with a loose pile of papers -- thus everyone uses the ring binder. But digitally, people ARE still forced to work with loose piles of documents :frowning: (or with yucky document management systems that look and behave like in DOS times).

People know exactly what they are "missing" as the feature existed in Explorer for years, until it got removed in Windows 7.

You're assuming everyone wants (or doesn't want) exactly the same as you and seem unable to accept that everyone is different.

(Same with the statement that you don't care about any of the other features added to file managers lately. You may not but it doesn't mean everyone else feels the same. Features and options are very subjective and no one person's opinion is the objective truth.)

Asserting that everyone will care about the idea as much as you do, if only they had enough imagination to grasp the wonder of it, sounds delusional when the idea is quite clear and people have been able to try it before in earlier versions of Explorer. If few people are interested in it, and it's not trivial to add "as a favour" to you, then that's the end of the story, unless you want to pay someone to work on it or find more people who also want it.

Pardon Leo......?

Let's see whether sooner or later, this is not going to line up here :sunglasses:

Anyway, first this thread is one of the most viewed of all times (of course this is only evidence, not proof...). Second, I didn't say that I "don't care about any other features". I said that there generally have been no KILLER features to file management in the last couple of years.

With killer features I mean new paradigms, not just the standard evolution of ease of use etc. New paradigms like e.g. threaded view in email, or the Awesomebar in FF and Chrome, or FAYT generally in applications, etc. Or like taking a medieval loose pile of documents, bringing them in an order that YOU like, and KEEPING that order as long as you like.
These kinds of features.......

Third, to my humble knowledge, the feature "custom sort" has not "existed in Explorer for years". Since any form of custom sort that rudimentarily might have been present in Explorer was NOT (again, to my knowledge) persistent, it also was useless for document management.

Again, as soon as people will see a persistent custom sort feature with drag-and-drop rearrangable sort order, I'm sure there will be a lot of excitement (at least with power users, i.e. with the traditional Dopus user base).

Cheers David.P

Because you've been bumping it for three years. Give it a rest.

Nah Leo, the thread has been bumped about three to four times also by other forum members who said they wanted that feature as well. What's more, obviously if people would not be interested, the thread would not have been read thousands of times.

Cheers David.P

That's about one person per year. Hardly incredible demand that would justify the amount of time and effort it would take GPSoft to implement the feature, IMO.

There are several much younger threads just on the front page with 1000+ views, some of which only involve one person's problem that is shared by no-one else but has still be read lots of times.

Threads with intriguing titles get lots of views, as do ones with lots of replies (since many people read every reply on the site). It's not that surprising that a thread that kept being resurrected over there years, with an unusual topic and that had a lot of replies (from a small number of people) got a lot of views.

If lots of people wanted the feature I'm sure more would have said so. Either way, repeatedly bumping the topic and saying the feature is must-have idea just because you think it is isn't winning anyone over. It's just annoying.

I would also like to be able to set the order of files in a folder arbitrarily, and to have that order persist. Has there been any progress on this since the last post below? if not how about this as a work-around:

1. Take a pre existing folder containing some files in whatever order they are currently sorted.
  2. Add a numeric prefix to each file in the folder recording its current position in that order.
  3. Mouse/arrow onto a file in that folder to give that filename focus.
  4. Create a script which reads the position number of the focused file and of the file appearing immediately above it (if any).
  5. Have that script swap the numeric prefixes of the focused file and the file above it (if any).
  6. Sort by filename.

Are steps (4) and (5) possible? Even better would be to leave the filename alone and store each file's order number in metadata e.g. "comment".

You'll be happy to know that 10 years after this thread was started, this feature is now available in Opus 12 :wink:

No way. You are kidding. This is unbef*ckinglievable.

Happy to hear it Jon, good job!