Desktop Button

Is there a way to make a "Desktop" Button ?, analogously to the Startmenu button described here :
Start Menu button, last comment and code creating dropdown menu.

With "Desktop" i mean the origin of the folder tree

There's one in the default menu attached to the parent button as well as in the Customize -> Commands list (type Desktop into the filter to find it quickly).

I didn't mean this. I'd like a drop down menu with cascading submenus.

The desktop is a virtual folder, while the code rather works on real folders.

I too thought in this way, but my hope was that there is a code variation for virtual folders.

Oh, try this then:

Go /desktop FOLDERCONTENT

the button disappears when closing the customize window with ok.

It must be inside a menu button.

but there is no "Function" field where i can enter the command.
And i do not know how to variate the code in shown in the link above.
i have to change in "go /desktop FOLDERCONTEND" and how to change the other code related to the (virtual) folder?

[quote="krkaem"]but there is no "Function" field where i can enter the command.
[/quote]

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>Desktop Foldercontent</label> <icon1>#statusbar</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>Desktop Foldercontent</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go /desktop FOLDERCONTENT</instruction> </function> </button> </button>

same effect as "goto desktop". No menu , in the lister appear the desktop elements.

Please check your PM box.

Check out, if this is what you had in mind:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu_button"> <label>drive contents</label> <icon1>#newbuttonmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>C:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>Foldercontent C:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go C:\ foldercontent</instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>D:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>Foldercontent D:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go D:\ foldercontent</instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>E:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>Foldercontent E:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go E:\ foldercontent</instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>F:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>Foldercontent F:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go F:\ foldercontent</instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>G:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>Foldercontent G:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go G:\ foldercontent</instruction> </function> </button> </button> </button>

This button features drives C: to G:, but it can be extended & customized.

In principle yes, but it fills up the toolbar.
Desktop indeed is a special folder. My hope was that analogously to folder tree and breadcrumbbar it is possible to have ONE starting point above a dropdown menu.
Thanks for your effort. Perhaps there is a solution, and i dream of it this night :slight_smile:

Strange. It takes up the place of one button here, everything else is an inside dropdown menu.
About the one starting point, i couldn´t find no better solution.
Go /mycomputer foldercontent indeed shows an empty menu,
most likely, because of the virtual folders thing. But if you consider the main menu button
as the "one point", it´s basically the same, except it has to be set manually (which then again
can be an advantage, since you can leave out some unwanted drives).

The one I posted works fine here. Create a new button from scratch, in case the old one had any leftover settings, and make sure the command is exactly as I gave it.

It should only disappear when you exit customize mode if you have no files on your desktop.

@abr: my mistake : i missed to copy some lines of your code! I overlooked the scrollbar in your code window. :frowning: Too late in the evening.
It works as you described, very fine thank you.
@Leo : In your example users\user\desktop is addressed, not the Desktop on top of the folder structure which i wanted.
And yes, my "real" desktop is empty, just recycle bin is there.

[quote="krkaem"]@Leo : In your example users\user\desktop is addressed, not the Desktop on top of the folder structure which i wanted.
And yes, my "real" desktop is empty, just recycle bin is there.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you're asking for then. (If your desktop is empty, why would you want a menu that shows its contents?)

Could you re-state the problem you are trying to solve?

Edit: Looking at Abr's answer again, seems you wanted My Computer in a menu, not Desktop.

If i click on Desktop on top of the foldertree, i get in the lister on the right Libraries, MyComputer, Collections, FTP, Network and so on.
What i wanted is to have a dropdown menu with cascading submenus such that i can hover thru all the the folders from top of the foldertree .
Ie, when clicking on the "Desktop menu button", i see Libraries, MyComputer, Collections, FTP, Network and so on. Hovering over MyComputer the according submenu opens,with the drives and maybe systemfolders